simona lianza

IMPORTING DAZ 3D ANIMATED CHARACTERS

Hello everybody, I am trying to find a solution that works to import a DAZ 3D Genesis 8 animated character (poses and morphs) into C4D R19. I already tried to import in different formats like fbx and collada without success. Importing a Genesis 8 without animation is pretty easy and everything is working perfectly. The problem is when the characters are animated. It happen also with G3 characters. Once in C4D the characters are completely deformed and some parts are out of the skeleton The face morphs are deforming completely the shape. I can see that all the morphs and pose are imported but it's like they are completely freaking out the character and there is no way to fix it. I have been following many threads and tutorial but I am still stock. I was thinking about buying the Alembic exporter from Daz but if I have to be honest I am pretty scared. I already bought a lot of stuff on Daz but the assistance on exporting process is not guaranteed. Plus I can't really find anything that proves that the Alembic exporter workflow is working perfectly on morph and poses. Any suggestions?

Thanks

S.

Daz character animation in C4D can be a doozey, but done right it works. I haven't used it in years but at the top of my head here's the main points of conflict:

- The DAZ fbx export release: You need to check the fbx year of release because believe it or not can make a huge difference. I don't remember which year did it for me (I think it was the 2009) but all other versions were crashing the host (C4D)

- In Daz you need to highlight (in yellow) every single mesh you are going to export 

- You need to key the morphs that interest you in exporting beforehand (change the slider value of ex: "happy" and then key it), otherwise they won't export

- In the DAZ export menu you need to tick/check the morphs and bake the textures

- Mind you DAZ meshes are not animation friendly as they are most of the times highly dense (in excess of 60k poly). Ideally you should remesh them (3DWrap your best bet by a mile) but then re-doing the UV's and projecting the original texture is a full day's work). Why they don't offer low poly versions of their models (UV's would be the same)  is beneath me.

- Decimation process either in DAZ or C4D (as in any other software really) is also not the way to go for animation as well.

• Topic Author
  •  

2 hours ago, Vertex Helix said:

Daz character animation in C4D can be a doozey, but done right it works. I haven't used it in years but at the top of my head here's the main points of conflict:

- The DAZ fbx export release: You need to check the fbx year of release because believe it or not can make a huge difference. I don't remember which year did it for me (I think it was the 2009) but all other versions were crashing the host (C4D)

- In Daz you need to highlight (in yellow) every single mesh you are going to export 

- You need to key the morphs that interest you in exporting beforehand (change the slider value of ex: "happy" and then key it), otherwise they won't export

- In the DAZ export menu you need to tick/check the morphs and bake the textures

- Mind you DAZ meshes are not animation friendly as they are most of the times highly dense (in excess of 60k poly). Ideally you should remesh them (3DWrap your best bet by a mile) but then re-doing the UV's and projecting the original texture is a full day's work). Why they don't offer low poly versions of their models (UV's would be the same)  is beneath me.

- Decimation process either in DAZ or C4D (as in any other software really) is also not the way to go for animation as well.

Hello Vertex helix and thank you for your message.

Well, the Fbx export plugin doesn't exist anymore. If you go in the documentation you can see that the link is expired and there is nothing related to any FBX plugin or release on DAZ platform at the moment. Everything is included in the software package.

I already keyframed every change. I actually get the complete list of the morph, expression and pose in C4D, I got the animation but the Character is reacting differently, it get smashed and horribly deformed by those morphs.

So I don't think is a keying problem. I think it is something different.
    I know that to export FBX you need also to setup the head.CTRL and add also head.DHM in Fbx setting. I did it already and it is still generating monsters.

I really don't understand the last 2 points in your message.  I am very curious still to understand how to export an animation into C4D, but thank you for your message :)

I see, so you've already figured out the DAZ exporting menu and the keys, but there's still deformation.

Ok, let's check the following within C4D:

- It is a clean new project with a clean animation track (no keys)

- The project scale matches the exported fbx scale

- You have no controllers or constraints assigned (yet)

- Have only the rig bones visible to see if the skeleton is behaving correctly? If yes the deformation may be resulting from a missing submesh when exporting.

If no the zero position of the skeleton bones is messed up (because one of the reasons above most likely)

- When it comes to morphs, see if the pose morph meshes are pushing the original face mesh  beyond its limits when animating (check the pose morph tab for multiple pose morph sliders moving at the same time and try deactivating a few if needed)

- Finally you can always check your skin weights and try to adjust them manually , though DAZ skinning I have to say it's not bad normally.

One route that works most of the time is to work with the Riptide Pro Plugin.

Load the OBJ and the Vertex animation (*.mdd). You will need the mdd export for Daz Studio as well.

FBX has a lot of issues, as you do not get the joint controlled morphs (JCM) and the default position of the joints over to Cinema 4D.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Visionnext said:

One route that works most of the time is to work with the Riptide Pro Plugin.

Load the OBJ and the Vertex animation (*.mdd). You will need the mdd export for Daz Studio as well.

FBX has a lot of issues, as you do not get the joint controlled morphs (JCM) and the default position of the joints over to Cinema 4D.

Thank you very much, I will try this path too. I have been watching some tutorials about the alembic exporter but I am not sure that it works on face expressions in an accurate way....

too bad, really, DAZ apparently did a full pipeline to MAYA but not for C4D or others

remains to be seen if DAZ is doing something tangible like the Poser Bridge for C4D

The People In Motion 2 plugin offers DAZ rig compatibility (V4/M4, Gen2, Gen3 and with a little modification Gen8 as well as Mixamo, Renderpeople etc.).

The fbx import works very well, some maps like roughness or normal needs to be manually set and some transparencies modified but besides that it's very easy to use DAZ characters in C4D.

PIM2 offers basic crowd sim, auto walk cycles, ik and other features.

Works native in until R19 and in R20 using the Insydium bridge.

http://www.rodenburg-verlag.de/shop/cinema-4d-plugins/people-in-motion-r2-0-cinema-4d-r17-winmac/

Yes, but it is based on FBX as well, thus

- no HD morphs

- no morphs that are joint movement controlled

This may not be necessary for animations, but probably for stills and close-ups.

Otherwise it seems to work fine...