Bolos

Nike Air Force 1 modelling

I'm trying to model a Nike AF1 and started from the sole since it seems to be the most complex part.

One thing that's bugging me is that there's a small lump (circled red) where the geometry is apparently flat. 

Do you have any idea what's causing this ? And hopefully how I could smooth it out ?

I added a photo of the shoe's sole so you can compare.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 18.40.04.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 18.38.36.png

AF1 sole.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Thanks! There's a few triangles in the whole mesh but this part is full quads. I also messed with the phong tag just to be sure but nope, doesn't help.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Damn bro, first off I have to give you props for even attempting to model that sole with actual geometry, most people would have done that with some displacement etc, as for your problem, I'm not Infront of my computer to test but although that section is technically "quads" they also all converge into a big complex pole, which will cause problems on any surface that isn't totally flat when using sub division.

I suspect from your wire frame and clay images that the inner most edge loop which encloses all those edges going to a single point is the issue either that or that pole section isn't totally flat, have you tried selecting that point in the centre and pulling it in a little ? To see if that smoothes out that little hump.

Also you can try using the sculpting brushes on that section to try to smooth it out a little, Usually for sections like this I would use a quad grid/patch style of geometry instead of having them all converge to a single point, if you have the file i'd be happy to take a look 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Vector! I actually modelled it via displacement maps a few years ago but was up for a challenge. I tried with a quad grid but now have a circle shape appearing (mostly visible with a highly reflective material). It seems pulling a little down the center pole was giving better results. I also used the HB_Relax (I use it a lot) from the HB Modelling Bundle but also makes things worse. I'll keep on trying things but here's the last file if you want to have a look. If you also have ideas to get rid of the triangles I'd be curious to see that.

Thanks again :)

Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 13.34.38.png

AF1-107b.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Here's an update where I got a rid of a few triangles and bridged more the outside dents with the inner circles.

I think I should have made the inner circles to a higher polycount to have less of a difference between the two parts. I feel like my bridging is kind of nasty.

Ideas welcome, thanks :)

AF1-107b.c4d

topology-wise that area is fine... the effect is very minimal, by fine tuning the y values of the edge loops in that area you can get it even a little less...  but i think as soon as you slap some shoe sole material on it, which usually has a slightly bumpy surface, it will go away completely, so i wouldn't stress too much about it.

the problem is that the spacing and y values between the loops don't form a perfect curvature, for stuff like this it's much easier to work with a deformer, or a plain effector in deformer mode with a spherical fall-off driven by a spline. that spline gives you the opportunity to introduce a perfect curvature into the mix, without fiddling with loops forever. it needs a few more edge loops to work perfectly this way though...

AF1-107b_new.c4d

• Like 1

I am also quite impressed with doing this with geometry. Very nice work so far.

Just one thing I see: Are you sure that area isn't supposed to actually be convex, rather than concave? The lighting in the reference image is clearly coming from the top and the highlight on the bump is consistent with being convex. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Realism is in the details! ;)