Sign in to follow this  
Michel Sondag

Daz Studio to Cinema 4D Workflow

Bonjour / Hi Everyone:

I am testing a smooth workflow from Daz Studio to C4D considering buying the software (R20).

Could someone help me on the following points ?

I'm importing into C4D figures posed in Daz Studio via .obj files. In the DAZ STudio Export dialog, I check Write Groups and Write Surfaces. In the C4D Open/Merge dialog I check Import  .MTL files and set Scale at 1 meter. The figure comes in nicely but with no textures applied.

Textures are loaded and are correctly assigned each element that comprise each group as defined within Daz Studio.

Still, it seems I have to apply each texture manually to the relevant group (there are 17 in total). I then save the textures as a preset for future use (Create/Save All Materials as...).

Now, if I import another figure with identical group names, is it possible to apply the textures all in once ? Is there a way to apply the textures in one click ?

Thank you !

Ok, here is my workflow for Genesis 3/8. First I use the following export settings in Daz Studio

image.png.cee2aaa48d02156a035d18527e9feaf9.png

Then I use the following C4D import settings

image.png.ea3e90c979cdc772ba461e4d18812264.png

I would advice to check Invert Transparency to get the material right by default. Nevertheless you will need to adjust them to get the right quality in Cinema 4D. I have to adjust them anyway, as I use Vray as render engine. I made a set of textures for this purpose and replace them every time after I import the OBJ. his can be automated by a script, if repeated often.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you very much for your advices. Adjusting textures is not a problem if this is done once and for all. What is an acute issue though is having to apply the textures manually onto each individual group and repeating all over again for the next figure. With 4 figures in the scene, it amounts to 68 applications ! Hardly workable...

So the script is necessary. Is it available somewhere or do I have to code it myself ?

In the meantime I reconsider buying such an expensive product however great it is. I will buy it only if I set up a smooth workflow from Daz Studio to C4D.

• Topic Author
  • @Visionnext, in January I travel to Austria, your country. It's easier to go from Paris to Vienna for a human being than for a little 3D figure to move from Daz Studio to C4D :pufff:

What we need is a Schengen Treaty for our 3D world, ah ah ah !

I started a document with a detailed workflow for transferring G3 to C4D, which includes the usage of Vray 3.6. Assigning materials should be done with a script, but I need to develop a reliable and flexible approach.

Another long-term approach includes the transfer based on FBX, but this involves Daz Scripts and C4D Scripts/Plugins and is a more complex topic. I would definitely need more time for that, but I don't have it now.

Let's see, what 2019 will bring.