• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
3D-Pangel

C4D R20 + X-Particles 2018 = Houdini?

No....not a weird mathematical equation but a legitimate question.

In the past 12 weeks, I have spent 9 of them traveling for work: 8 of those 9 weeks have been out of the country.   So this left very little time for C4D.  Plus TV was a not a great option given some of the countries I was visiting.   So all I can say is Thank God for YouTube!

So I started watching the Insydium tutorials on X-Particles, in particular those that highlight the features of their November, 2018 release.   Based on a brief search through the forums  I am really surprised that no one at the Café has posted on this release because I am just gob struck by the improvements made by Insydium.  Just watch Bob Walmsley's IBC presentation here and tell me if you don't start the see the potential for XP4-2018 as part of major VFX pipepline.  The multi-physics capabilities and grain solvers really blow my mind.  Add to that the general speed increase (around 3X faster fluid solver), the capability to cache various fluid channels as OpenVDB output, and mix all that with R20 fields and you begin to wonder if the complexity of the Houdini interface is really buying you that much.  You may think that Houdini has the edge on handling massive particles and therefore is the only way to go for serious VFX work.   But if you watch other YouTube videos where they were running speed comparison tests with over 1.5 million particles on a Core i9 processor you may also question that assumption as well.

Now, I have absolute respect for the work done with Houdini and for the artists who use it, but I think it is a mistake for people to think that C4D users can't play in the high-end VFX world.  X-Particles allows C4D users to step out of the motion graphics box that many non-C4D users like to keep us in.

Bravo!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Both X-Particles and Houdini are great.  Insydium themselves posted about the release which I responded to, but I would have expected more interest with the magnitude of the update.  The new collision detection makes many simulations much faster as well as makes cloth almost usable with a character.  The problem still there is the cloth pinning works before any deformers so the cloth does not deform with the deformation from the skin deformer.  Therefore it's still not usable with a character.

The quality of cloth and fluids in Houdini are also much better than X-Particles.  Houdini is king of simulations.  That is the main thing Houdini is known for, so of course they are going to be great at it.  X-Particles for the price is a great value and can be easier to play around with to get some things faster.

I'd say go with whatever you can get stuff done in.

Sort of makes you wonder why we still have Thinking Particles in C4D. I almost wonder if MAXON should bite the bullet and remove TP then drop the price of the Studio version and then do a deal with Insydium where when you buy the Studio version first time round you can add on X-Particles at a discounted price.

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Sort of makes you wonder why we still have Thinking Particles in C4D. I almost wonder if MAXON should bite the bullet and remove TP then drop the price of the Studio version and then do a deal with Insydium where when you buy the Studio version first time round you can add on X-Particles at a discounted price.

I would agree that MAXON would have to do a tremendous job to catch up to X-Particles.   It really rounds out MAXON as given their price range it is a bit surprising that their native physical simulation capabilities are a bit limited.    But here Insydium fills that void nicely with fluids, cloth, etc.  So I would not be surprised if TP development into the new core does not go beyond what they have today.  I mean, why bother?  It would be about as useless as updating Pyrocluster.

In fact, to include TP with future updates as the new core continues to be rolled out would be a bit of an embarrassment for MAXON. Kind of like updating/remodeling an entire house but one room still has these olive green shag carpets. Particle animation is a big part of motion graphics and MAXON not only failed to invest in it, but lost a key developer who went off with his own vision for how it should be done and did them one better by introducing physical simulations into motion graphics. 

But MAXON would never drop their price.  To do so would be a public admission that they really missed the mark and  now need an "outsider" to help them catch up.

….but as I think about it...

What could happen is that Nemetscheck acquires Insydium but still allows them autonomy and control.  They just run as a separate division along side MAXON and the two get sold together as a bundle (hopefully at a reduced price).  In fact, I would not be surprised if this was the plan all along when David O'Reilly left as sometimes you need to "spin out" a development team with the intent of some day acquiring them and spin them back in.  Spinning them out allows them to be develop autonomously which usually also means faster and more creatively.

Just a thought.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Has MAXON ever bought another program and stuck it in C4D?

I know modo did and it was a good move.