Adept

Bind Animated Rig to Character Mesh

Hi! I have a FBX motion capture file of a character walking, and a mesh I want to apply it to. I just tried posing frame -1 of the animated rig to match the static mesh and binding it, but it came out pretty messy and was going to be very difficult to fix as my character model is quite complex with multiple protruding objects (a radio on the hip, for example). Is there some easier way to bind a bipedal rig to a character when it is already animated? Some other program or online service? Adobe's Mixamo works wonders with rigging, but has no way to add your own animations to apply to the meshes so it is no help in this case. Thanks for any help!

Hi

You really need a A or T pose rig bound to the charcter then apply the mocap to that via retargetting or motion clips, but the rig needs to match the mocap rig.  Trying to bind a mocap rig thats already broken the initial T pose is not easy and not a good way to go about it.  Try to find a T pose rig from the makers of the mocap animation, or dump that mocap and go mixamo.  Mixamo has plenty of decent animations, thats the way to go.  You mite also want to try out IKmax plugin, but the mocap has to match that rig very close by name or joint.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • On 12/27/2018 at 12:49 AM, Rectro said:

Hi

You really need a A or T pose rig bound to the charcter then apply the mocap to that via retargetting or motion clips, but the rig needs to match the mocap rig.  Trying to bind a mocap rig thats already broken the initial T pose is not easy and not a good way to go about it.  Try to find a T pose rig from the makers of the mocap animation, or dump that mocap and go mixamo.  Mixamo has plenty of decent animations, thats the way to go.  You mite also want to try out IKmax plugin, but the mocap has to match that rig very close by name or joint.

Dan

Ok, that's kinda what I figured but i wasn't entirely sure. Thanks!