janheylen

Edge bevel shading bug

Does anyone has a solution or workaround for this Edge bevel shading bug:

After beveling an edge, part of the newly created polygons will be transparant.

This bug is present in both the Bevel tool as in the bevel deformer.

You can see the problem in the screenshot or in the attached file.

Edge bevel shading bug.tif

Edge bevel shading bug.c4d

You have texture tag mapped by UV´s. Since bevel deformer "break" UV´s, you need to use another type of texture mapping. Try cubic and fit to object...

• Like 2

Just now, janheylen said:

Thx a lot Bezo!

That explained and solved the problem.

If you still needed Uv texture on it just do as I said, delete the material tag from the object and apply it again, you can keep your Uv projection type still if thats needed.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • hey Dan,

Just reapplying the texture tag didnt work for me.

Only remapping the UV's worked. (or changing the projection type in the texture tag as Bezo said)

For me it´s "refresh" problem (texture projection is applied and lately (when some changes on object) didn´t refresh projection).

Some kind of bug...

30 minutes ago, bezo said:

For me it´s "refresh" problem (texture projection is applied and lately (when some changes on object) didn´t refresh projection).

Some kind of bug...

Yes I would also say its a refresh bug.  Does removing the texture and applying it again resolve it for you as it does for me.  It dont seem to by the OP?  I did my initial test in R19 and applying the texture back on fixed it and it forced a refresh.

PS:  I tried removing the material from object and reply it again in R20.0.30 and it worked as in R19.

Dan

Where looking deeper on the scene, reaplying material on object mean change it´s parameters, because on object has texture tag disabled tilling. When reaplied material, tilling is on by default...

Btw, what could make tilling option with UV´s, since they´re based on real geometry. I would expect use it on some parametric sort of projection, not UV mapping.

(...maybe trying to be ready for UDIM´s? just a speculation :D )

So, in janheylens´s example just enabling Tile option is the solution, but don´t know what is "behind" this behavior. Create bevel deformer UV´s "outside of defalt 0...1 UV space?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bezo said:

Where looking deeper on the scene, reaplying material on object mean change it´s parameters, because on object has texture tag disabled tilling. When reaplied material, tilling is on by default...

Btw, what could make tilling option with UV´s, since they´re based on real geometry. I would expect use it on some parametric sort of projection, not UV mapping.

(...maybe trying to be ready for UDIM´s? just a speculation :D )

So, in janheylens´s example just enabling Tile option is the solution, but don´t know what is "behind" this behavior. Create bevel deformer UV´s "outside of defalt 0...1 UV space?

You have some good points there.  UDIMs would without doubt have to come to C4D along with a new UV tool set. Im sure this is one of many things MAXON are working on.  I hope BP gets some love to give the likes of Mari a run for its money, this with updated UV mapping tools would be a biggie for many, but Im going off topic here.

Dan