MrSky

Adding a Jiggle to a Character Object

Hey folks! I've rigged up and animated a character that I'd like to add some springiness and delay to, but I'm not sure where to stick the jiggle deformer (if that's the best method to use). 

She's composed of separate floating pieces, and I'd like for them to have a bit of delay when she moves quickly, as though the little balls are very loosely held. I've gotten the effect before on non-character objects by using a jiggle deformer that has no structural influence, so that the object stays solid but bobbles around its position, but it doesn't seem to work here where the skin is outside of all of the objects I'm moving. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated!

Screenshot 2018-12-30 21.52.58.png

first off, you need to create vertex maps for the areas you want the jiggle to happen, then you can put a restriction tag on the jiggle deformer and drag the vertex maps into the slots. but this only works on a per object level, that means you need to copy your skin tag as a child of the object you want to jiggle. the skin tag has an inclusion list, so let's say you want the breasts to jiggle, so you would copy the skin tag to. e a child of the torso mesh, go to the original skin tags inclusion tab and delete the torso mesh in that list. in your copied skin tag, which is now a child of the torso mesh do the opposite, delete everything except the torso mesh. put your jiggle deformer after the torsos skin deformer, add a restriction tag and drag the vertex map for the torso into the first slot. now only the vertex painted area will jiggle, nothing else. make sure you hit play while you're moving your character, otherwise the painted area won't move at all. if you need other body parts to jiggle, you need to make more copies of your skin tag and more jiggle deformers, which will slow down the performance of your character significantly. per skin and jiggle deformer you will lose about 2-3 fps viewport performance, so it would be better to have as many elements as possible in one single mesh.

• Like 1

A single mesh as everfresh mentioned is the way id go.  Just bind them into one mesh, weight each part to a joint 100% absolute then your need one single skin, jiggle, and restriction tag.

Here is a sample file.

Dan

jiggle box.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Dan! I ended up making the multiple skins everfresh described, since I wanted some pieces to fly off a bit more than others, like they were loosely attached. It didn't slow things down too much.