Arivald

The pillow is hanging in the air

I'm trying to create a pillow, I managed to get the shape okay, I added a soft body to it so that it can fall on the bed and added the colider to the bed frame, mattress and the duvet. When the pillow falls, it stops mid air as if it's boucning off an invisible object. I would like it to collide with the bed rather than something mid air, but I have no idea why it is doing that.

I added the c4d file packed in a rar because it was over 2mb.

pillowpng.png

bed pillow.c4d.rar

in your collision tab set the shape to "static mesh" instead of "automatic". automatic draws an invisible bounding box around your objects, static mesh takes the actual mesh into account for dynamics calculations.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

in your collision tab set the shape to "static mesh" instead of "automatic". automatic draws an invisible bounding box around your objects, static mesh takes the actual mesh into account for dynamics calculations.

Thank you, that got rid of the invisible box, is there a way for the two objects to actually touch? so I set everything to static mesh, but the pillow is still hovering in the air.

pillow2.png

Hi, in the collision tag set the size increments to negative -5 -10 -20.... until you get the pillow to touch. I suspect your object size is not real world sizes, in dynamic simulations it's best to use real world measurements.

• Topic Author
  • The measurements are indeed world sizes, all the items are from my room and I measured each one before creating it in cinema. I set the size increments to -20 on each collider, but it didn't do anything.

pillows.thumb.png.af94407cdf89107b577c30a0745b20fe.png

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, everfresh said:

what are your settings for the pillows?

The original post has the file uploaded and packed in .rar so you can see all the settings

On 1/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Arivald said:

The original post has the file uploaded and packed in .rar so you can see all the settings

i can't unpack the file, gives me an error message.

Ok, this was a bit tricky!  I probably can't remember everything I changed, but here are the main ones:

1) Delete the Duvet completely (save it for later in another file).

2) Delete the Dynamics Tag from the mattress and replace with a Plane that you'll turn off for render

3) Set pillow to Moving Mesh and Frame to Static Mesh

4) You'll have to mess with your pillow Soft Body settings to avoid weird behavior

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that you can place your dynamic plane just beneath the surface of the mattress until you get rid of the gap.  Also, you might consider setting your Subdivision Surface to 1 for the pillow and applying the Dynamics Tag directly to the SDS instead of the low poly model.

Edited by natevplas

You don´t need dynamics unless you are making an animation.

Why you need to make simple task so complex? Just delete all tags from pillow and move pillow into right place.