mikoian

How I do this space warp speed effect?

I have looked on Youtube and Google for tutorials and I can find plenty in After Effects. But nothing in Cinema 4D. See the image below.

I want to move through space in a spaceship but also move the camera around, to see around me...so when I am looking on the side I should be seeing only those stars streaks and not the stars which are in front of the ship (and move slower). And when I look behind I should see those star streaks behind the spaceship but also the stars without much streaks (because they are moving slower than those on the side of me - just like I see when looking in front).

Thank you.

warp-speed.jpg

A simple Emitter should do the trick.  Have it firing the particles at the camera, then add a Tracer and a Sweep.  See my project file for a starting point.

Star Field v1.c4d

natevplas has given a good practical solution. 

That can be the way to fake that motion blurry space vision.

But if you want something more physically, realistic calculated and 3d world style, you need a monsterous computer. Because you can build that scene by using a camera and in "physical" settings, you can adjust "shutter speed". You need a slow shutter. Then you can choose the correct settings in "physical render" choice. So you can get that motion blur "optically" computed.

• Like 1

@muratz yes, that would be the most accurate way to do it.  But like you said, you'd be an old man when it was finished rendering, haha!  i think by texturing the sweep lines with a slight gradient on the ends you could get a very similar result.  then do some comp work in AE to give the streaks some glow, chromatic abberation, or whatever.

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, natevplas said:

A simple Emitter should do the trick.  Have it firing the particles at the camera, then add a Tracer and a Sweep.  See my project file for a starting point.

Star Field v1.c4d

Thank you, I'll take a look at yours too.
    I tried already something with the emitter, parallel spot lights attached to the particles, and some settings for both the particles and lights (and I added hair as material for the tracer, but I didn't use Sweep) and it looks ok for now. I will look at your project too.

• Topic Author
  • On 1/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, natevplas said:

Star Field v1.c4d

@natevplas  I tried your example...the thing i have observed is that the particles intersect with my space ship, like bullets going through it. That's probably because the particles are shot from the center of the emitter. 

How do I make the particles to be shot from a circle (the margin of the circle), for example, so the center remains free of particles?

You could scale down your emitter and clone it onto a circle spline.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 36 minutes ago, natevplas said:

You could scale down your emitter and clone it onto a circle spline.

I did clone it and aligned to a circle...but only the original emitter emits particles...the clones are not.

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Make Cloner editable?

After making it editable the clones disappeared from the circle, only the original remains visible. And only the original still emitting.
    I see a bunch of emitter clones under clones now as individual entities, but I don't see them in the viewport and they don't emit anything.

See the image below...image 1 the cloner is not editable, image 2 the cloner is editable.

cloner.jpg

For some reason you are using Align To Spline tag. After making the cloner editable all those clones reside in the same spot. Because they all have the same emitting seed it seems like there is only one..

• Topic Author
  • 52 minutes ago, Voytech said:

For some reason you are using Align To Spline tag. After making the cloner editable all those clones reside in the same spot. Because they all have the same emitting seed it seems like there is only one..

Yep, I figured out how to align the cloner to the circle without Align to Spline tag. So now it works...but, it doesn't show the long streakes for each particle. I put Sweep under the clone too but it seems it doesn't have any effect. 

PS

Actually, I just added the emitters into the Trace Link from the tracer and now it seems all of them are working.

• Like 1