Sign in to follow this  
Tinkertoy

Use bodypaint but keep material?

I'm just trying to add some details on top of my material. I've already got my object textured with the material that I want, which is a nice reflective car paint blue, but when I go through the 3D wizard for bodypaint it turns everything into a bland grey material.

How do I keep my original material and just paint on top of that?

You have a number of options:

Bake the material then load it as a Bodypaint texture. This then allows you paint on it. Google "Cinema 4D Bake material" to turn up a few videos on how to do it.

Paint on a new material on top of the existing material but using an Alpha channel mask.

• Topic Author
  • Posted (edited)

I'm very well versed with Photoshop so I figured Bodypaint would come easily to me, but things just aren't working correctly.

I take my model with the car paint material applied, I then switch to the BP - 3D Paint layout and go through the paint setup wizard and I end up with a grey material. I can paint on this grey material, but how would I then do the alpha channel mask method? I can't seem to find any option to turn on an alpha mask in the 3D paint layout. I'm sorry, I just don't know the steps or the workflow. All I'm wanting to do is add some stripes onto an object with a shiny car paint material.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Tinkertoy
    forgot pictures

I'd say apply a second material to the object that is the default material.  On that you can do the paint setup wizard because setting it up without the wizard is a pain in the butt.  With that you can make the whole thing an see through alpha so you can see the material underneath.  Not you should be able to paint on the new material with anything you want. 

Alternatively if you really did just want stripes, and this had good uvs or sphereical mapping, you could use a gradient in whatever channel to get the stripes with a single material.

• Topic Author
  • That all makes sense. I'm just not sure of the workflow. Like what steps would I need to go through in order to do what you just said?

I tried doing this:

- starting out with my object with my material on it

- okay. applied a second material on top of that

- painted my stripes

- but now my hull material is ALSO grey! I thought I was only painting on the top material so that I could then blend it on top of my original material but I can't if my original material is gone :(

Capture3.JPG

When you go through the paint setup wizard you have to click on materials in step 1 and make sure you uncheck the material you want to stay the same.  In step 3 make sure you click on alpha so you have an alpha and make the new color for the alpha black.  Now you need to set up the brush so it paints on the alpha and the color or whatever layer at the same time or you won't see what you are painting.  Also make sure the color being painted on the alpha layer is white.

• Topic Author
  • Okay. Will try all of that and report back shortly.

1 hour ago, Fastbee said:

Now you need to set up the brush so it paints on the alpha and the color or whatever layer at the same time or you won't see what you are painting.  Also make sure the color being painted on the alpha layer is white. 

Look up video on youtube if you don't know how to do this.  You need to learn the basics of how to use bodypaint.

• Topic Author
  • I'm TRYING to learn how to do it but the BP interface is not familiar for me. As you can see in the video I made sure and selected an alpha material to be created with the wizard, but no matter what I try it won't let me paint on the alpha layer.

Can you please just tell me how to paint on the alpha layer? I've watched BP basics videos and all they say is to run the wizard and start painting. So there's something small I'm missing.

• Topic Author
  • I don't know what "set up the brush so it paints on the alpha and the color or whatever layer at the same time " means. How do I set up the brush to paint on the alpha layer? I've been playing with it for hours and though it seems simple to you I cannot figure it out. I'm sure it's some VERY simple thing that I'm just no seeing like not recognizing a certain icon that needs to be ticked or something.

By “set up the brush so it paints on the alpha and the color or whatever layer at the same time “ he means material channels like color, reflectance, bump or like in your case – alpha. You need to activate them in brush setting to be able to paint both color texture and alpha texture at the same time.

Here is screen shot from C4D help file..
    c4dhelp.thumb.jpg.941e6b57e4c9c14663b228d5e1e05593.jpg