Tinkertoy

Use bodypaint but keep material?

• Topic Author
  • Okay I bumbled around with some settings (I'd already made sure and click on the alpha channel before but it didn't work) and this time it seems to (kinda) work.

I can paint on the object but it doesn't show anything in the display window. If I go to the UV tab I can see it, but I can't see what I'm doing unless I use the MOVE icon at the top to move the view and then it shows it on top of the other material. So I've kinda got it...but how would I make it so that I can actually see what I'm doing as I do it?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

You didn't watch the videos because this is answered in the videos.  Making stuff in 3D is 1,000,000x harder than photoshop.  Expect to put tons of time into it.  People can't tell you every single step on a forum.  You have to put in the work.

Having said that if you had R19+ they made the preview real time.  In 18 and below follow the videos.

Watch all of them.  3D content creation is hard work.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I just wanted to paint some stripes. I'll just model the things on with geometry. Thanks for the info anyway though, seriously,  if I ever have a the downtime I'll try to watch some of them. I'd like to learn it, I just don't have 8 1/2 hours to dedicate to learning to paint a couple of stripes right now.

Painting in 3d is a path of trial and error and when you don't understand basics about how materials in C4d work or uv mapping concept - it might be frustrating. Without much dwelling on all those intricacies, try this..
    Copy your beloved blueish material

Go to color channel ( forget about Paint Setup Wizard for a moment) and create new texture manually - by clicking this tiny triangle, choose – Create New Texture.
    snap01.thumb.jpg.16a096be9a00991792a68887d4771579.jpg

Copy values from overall colour of the material to get the same blue and click OK
    snap03.thumb.jpg.60de9309d4db6e4c210b5e4d6b162177.jpg

Now, assuming that there weren't any shaders driving your color channel, you should get exactly the same looking blue material. Colour of the texture overrides “general” material colour as long as you don't toy with mixing modes and strength.
    snap04.thumb.jpg.85c357a16124c6f48f1c1d8a3ce1b846.jpg

Activate this new material and create new layer by Right-click on blue square.
    snap06.thumb.jpg.aa8639623771f7be3b40abd0377abc7d.jpg

From now on you can paint your stripes on that layer.
    snap07.thumb.jpg.b6dd0a98e3af3bf3bdc6a3086f6048a7.jpg
    I hope this short tut will help you get the hang of it..

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for taking the time to explain. It makes MUCH more sense now. However I apparently did something not quite right, as I can totally see where you're going with it, but it still won't let me paint on it. Pretty sure I just have like one tiny thing set wrong or something. I've linked a video of what is going on.

https://streamable.com/qf66s

• Topic Author
  • i did 100% step by step what you posted, no more, no less, so i may not have. will check it in a bit.

• Topic Author
  • Hmm. It seemed to work just fine this time. Thanks for the tip! Apparently having the little red x replaced with the pen icon is what was keeping it from allowing me to paint on a surface. I try to hover over things, but lots of the icons in the interface, especially in the BP part, have no tooltips.

https://streamable.com/5dyh5