rjbex

SOLVED: Simple displacement not working

Hi all,

I'm sure I'm probably missing something obvious but I have wasted hours on this already and can't figure it out. I was working on a project using corona and having some issues with materials not showing displacement when rendered. In the end I went back to basics and created a new c4d file, created 2 spheres and applied a simple material with displacement (noise) switched on. I can't figure out why on earth the displacement will not show up, thats in either standard render or in corona etc.

The sphere on the right has a displacer shader attached and shows (at least I think) what the sphere on the left which only has the material applied, should be showing.

What on earth am I missing?? It doesn't matter what I do to the displacement level, or if I use a cube shape or something from my own CAD model, it just renders blank like this.

Settings screenshot attached. Thank you!

displacement issue.JPG

displacement issue.JPG

hello,

for the texture displacement to work the sphere needs to be editable, with the deformer it can stay parametric.

At least that worked for me.

It's working for me in Standard, with sphere still parametric. The trick is to turn off 'Render Perfect' on the sphere, which is on by default. :)

Ok, I'm not sure how I missed that..................... duh, thank you, turning off render perfect has worked.

However, I still have the problem with my scene file.  The displacement issue doesn't seem to happen when I use a .OBJ export I have just noticed through some trial and error.  I was previously exporting to .FBX, is this a bad idea?

I am working in microstation and exporting to C4d. No matter which I use the levels each come in all grouped together, exploding them using Mesh>Conversion>Polygon Groups to Objects seem to separate them, though doesn't seem to make much difference to how renders come out.

I just seem to be having all kinds of weird problems, another below - sorry this is digressing slightly but I'm not sure if the issue is my export settings/file types? This is an OBJ export of a simple wall, I've just attached a brick texture to demonstrate. How do I get it to properly map around the wall? Every side looks different?

The first image is spherical mapping - its completely uneven and the texture seems to slope/have more bricks on some sides than others?

The second image is UVW mapping which looks like nothing at all basically.

So confusing...

bricks spherical.JPG

UVW.JPG

Just a guess that your export issue is the export settings for those file types. I don't know microstation, so I'm afraid I am little help there.

As for your texture mapping, using the projection shape that best suits the object is the best place to start. For those walls, try Cubic. Once you get that sorted, there are some tools that will help you manipulate it. Mainly, using Texture Mode, and Enable Axis. Turning both of those on will allow you to move, rotate, scale, and tile the projection. I don't have time atm to really spell it all out for you. Check out some tutorials about 'projection mapping'. Search the help file. If you're still struggling, start a new topic in the Texturing forum and I or someone else will likely help you some more.

Thank you very much. I will look at understanding how this works a bit better.

Original issue solved!