Sign in to follow this  
rjbex

Transparency not visible in preview?

Hello,

I am setting up some basic materials for a project and have an issue with glass - it renders fine but in the model preview it is black - is this normal? I would like it show as transparent. I've searched for an answer but mostly I'm finding people suffering with the reverse problem where it renders black.

Any ideas? I guess its something simple that I am missing. I can easily turn it off in preview so I just can't see it of course, but it would be useful to know if it should show up more transparent in the modelling views.

Some screenshots attached. It looks like the 'transparency' option is greyed out? If I click/un-click it nothing changes. I don't know if it's something to do with this option?

c4d_preview.JPG

c4d_render.JPG

c4d_transparency.jpg

Note - I downloaded a glass material from someone else and it shows up transparent in the preview, so its something about my material?

Check your material settings. On the "Editor" tab ensure that Transparency is checked. If it's unchecked and the material colour is dark then it will show up in the viewport as black. Here's what I mean. When I enable the option I can see through the cube.

trans.jpg

Hmmmm, I made a Corona material and it doesn't seem to have that option? I followed the steps as per Corona guide on how to make glass.

I don't entirely understand whether I should be making Corona materials or C4D materials? (I'm using Corona to render)

mateiral.JPG