Sign in to follow this  
smantik

Making multiple holes

Hi. I'm trying to make different holes to an object. I have made them to a wall of the object and everything was perfect. The wall was clean after I made the holes with "Magic Merge" plugin. Later I did some holes to the base and suddenly a lot of unwanted  edges appeared. What did I do wrong? Do I have to cut the polygon? What are the best practices to do the holes in an object?

Thanks.

holes.jpg

I'm not sure why you cant see the lines on the wall object, but they will be there too. Every one of the new points and edges you make in the wall and the floor will be connecting to something, and if you dont control it you end up with an unholy mess. Looking at some videos on 'beginners hard surface modelling' will help.

Booleans create sometimes good, but mainly wrong results.

Try to create few plane cuts on object (for "dividing" big n-gon into few quads) and place them between "future" holes...

Sometimes will help different count/value of segments of holes...

The Magic Merge plugin just hide the edges as a N-Gon. You can see them by enabling "N-Gons Lines "in the Viewport filters. You can clean things up a bit by selecting edges and running a "Melt" command. Here's what I mean. The cube on the right is the result of melting the edges.

One advantage of cleaning up these messy edges apart from looking better is the Bevel tool will bevel the edges much better and cleanly.

melt.jpg