adamjm

modelling cut outs

Hi guys, i need some help modelling cut outs of this brush and handle. I don't know whether it's easier to group these objects, copy them and boole two holes out of one surface? OR is it easier to actually model each cut out with nurbs? I've modelled one cut out before but not sure if two would totally make the geometry go all over the place?

any advice would be great

thanks 

3D case v1.c4d

• Topic Author
  • ps, I've managed to model one hole, which I'm happy with. But as soon as i try to cut the surface to shape the hole for the toothbrush head, my geometry goes all over the place.. Any help would be great on how to get the cut for the brush? Can i knife cut the brush shape into the surface and inner extrude that? Not working at present....

thanks

3D case v2.c4d

For this sort of thing you should use proper polygon modelling. There's no need at all to use booleans in this scene.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • ok great, Ive got these cut outs but I've attached some screen grabs, the bigger recess is what i want, but do you know what i need to do to make the brush recess work? it looks really odd..

I've basically cut into the surface to create the hole. it looks fine until i drop it into hyper nurbs.

any advice would be great.. not sure where i'm going wrong?

thanks 

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 18.15.43.png

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 18.15.57.png

You're using N-Gons. Subdivision surface modelling works best when you maintain quads (4 sided polygons).

I highly recommend the following series of modelling videos on YouTube. Work your way through all of the videos trying to follow the examples:

Hi

3DKiwi is correct  polygonal modelling is the way to go.  If you haven't found your way by the end of Thursday I will give you some one to one help and show you some ways to go about it.  Once you have modelled some things your start to get the hang of out to visualize forms.    Its worth the time and effort to learn polygon modelling as this will open a whole new world of content creation and skills.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • ok thanks guys, I've managed to sort it for now, but good tip. I will make sure i use four sided polygons in future.. One to one help would be great.. I'm slowly getting my head around things.. My modelling has got better since some of my posts last year.. Didn't realise you can cut into any shape or surface and push or pull the shape.

thanks again guys 

ps below i actually changed the setting to 'catmull clark' in Hypernurbs and it looks great for a change, and what i wanted, smooth cut out recesses :)

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 18.30.32.png

• Like 1