Hello all !

I'm looking to do a landscape topology animation and stumbled on this post which is basically what I'm looking after https://twitter.com/Eric_Carl/status/1080541237625671680

I don't really understand how he did it... the "mesh" looks like a plane with noise displacement and some falloff, I know how to do that but what about the projected topographic lines ?

I tried various methods, using a projected gradient but resulting in dirty lines, a cloner of thin cubes in Y, and a Voronoi horizontal slice with very thin lines, which sort of works but is very heavy on CPU.

Isn't there an easy way to do that in C4D ? Thank you in advance for your responses

12 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, This tutorial could be a lead:  https://vimeo.com/117456977

Yes, this is the way to go!  I was thinking Sketch and Toon would be a good solution, but wasn't sure how to do it.  EJ to the rescue!

• Topic Author
  • @natevplas @digitvisions Thanks a lot for the replies ! I tried both methods before and it kinda works from a far and angled view, but looking closely the lines output are a bit jaggy on both.

I was looking on a method of projecting splines on the surface, but that would be kept project if the object shanges its shape. It would be very clean and also allow for full control about smoothing, using sweep Nurbs, etc.

I also know about the loop cut > Edge to spline method but it's only static. Maybe it's only doable in houdini but I thought there could be an easy method.

Thanks anyway for taking a look !

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_9.png

22 minutes ago, zabadoy said:

Actually I managed to do what I was looking for thanks to this thread and tweaking things a bit.

Here is the file if someone's interested.

ProjectedTopoSplines.c4d

Seems quite different from the example, and fairly limited, but glad this works for you!

• Topic Author
  • @natevplas well the lines are super clean but I realise that the splines get distorted on Y axis as well in my example, so not a good approach finally

@ion thanks, I tried before and got jaggy lines but realised it works better after applying SDS.

Gotta work on tuned noise then to makes the thing looks cool.

Thanks all  you for your time !