Visionlux

Approaches to modelling this algae?

Well, these kind of thingies are always tricky, but I would try Splines with Loft generator. :)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 52 minutes ago, Igor said:

Well, these kind of thingies are always tricky, but I would try Splines with Loft generator. :)

Well whaddaya know. The ONE thing I had not yet tried appears to work best. Don't know why I have it in my head that lofts require closed splines.

Thanks Igor.

• Like 1

And yes, you can then mix it with the Volumes for imperfections and then on top of that you can use the sculpting tool to refine it! 

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Igor said:

And yes, you can then mix it with the Volumes for imperfections and then on top of that you can use the sculpting tool to refine it! 

How would you approach the loft once inside the Volume builder? Would the volume builder give me that slight thickness I'm going to need as well?

Also, while I have your attention, thoughts on shading? I'm thinking gradients with lots of noise/dirt layering but I'm afraid those are going to take a lot of work to get looking natural and there aren't a lot of these kinds of texture photos out there.

156779.jpg

Here is a quick example of how you can do this with Volumes and Splines...its a really quick one because I have no time to refine it, but you should get the idea. Unfortunately its a mostly manual work but its doable! Plus, on top of that, after making object editable, you can use Sculpting tool to refine it more, you dont have to have Sculpting tag on the object to use those tools!!!

What I would do for texturing is. Once I make a model that looks good, I would make everything editable and make a good UVs, then you can do texturing with a few layers of material! The downside of Volumes would be a topology, so maybe you could try to retopo it to some extent and then make a good UVs.

uglyExample.c4d

• Like 1

To add: another thing you could use with Volumes are MoSplines, that way you could get cool shapes more easier! :)

• Like 1