Adept

Animate on top of Motion Clip?

Hi!  Is there any way to add animation to certain bones on top of a character that is animated with motion clip?  I have blended a few walking animations for my character, but at one point in the middle of his walking I want him to twist his torso to turn. Is there any way to do this?  Like just edit the keyframes for the spine bone at that point in time?  Thanks!

Hi,

You can go to Hierarchy Tab in the motion Clip and disable the mocap for certain Joints to keyframe them by hand. If you want to change in the middle of mocap Animation you might duplicate the Clip and blend from original mocap clip A to customized keyframed clip B

On cineversity is a helpful tut on Mixamo Clip blending in C4d

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity

Hi

when putting a clip onto a layer below the original top clip you can transition from the top clip to the one below it then transition back..  In my video at 1:21 this should show you this method along with what zeden has already covered.  

• Topic Author
  • On 1/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, zeden said:

Hi,

You can go to Hierarchy Tab in the motion Clip and disable the mocap for certain Joints to keyframe them by hand. If you want to change in the middle of mocap Animation you might duplicate the Clip and blend from original mocap clip A to customized keyframed clip B

How exactly do I disable the individual bones?  The only thing I have tried is pressing delete when the bone is selected, but then the entire model gets messed up....

Click the motion clip in the animation timeline. Go to attributes window and open the hierarchy tab. Now you see all the objects inside the motion clip with checkboxes

• Like 1

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, zeden said:

Click the motion clip in the animation timeline. Go to attributes window and open the hierarchy tab. Now you see all the objects inside the motion clip with checkboxes

Aaahh there it is!  Thank you very much!

• Topic Author
  • On 1/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, zeden said:

Hi,

On 1/11/2019 at 1:15 AM, Rectro said:

Hi

when putting a clip onto a layer below the original top clip you can transition from the top clip to the one below it then transition back..  In my video at 1:21 this should show you this method along with what zeden has already covered.  

Alright, well I've been messing with it for a bit now and still think I am doing something wrong.... First of all, the blending of two clips does not work as smoothly as it should (gif attached). Also, I am able to disable the bones in the heirarchy, but how do I animate them on top of the motion clip? Animating the bones in the heirarchy for my base clip doesn't work as once I click the keyframe button, the bones jump back to the position they were in before. What am I doing wrong? I just want to make his left arm move differently than was in the mixamo clips.

https://gyazo.com/31e1b07eafdfc35e449998e22c4e1925 

for mixing the clips, I used the "make transition" tool, but it doesn't seem to be working as well as I want...

https://gyazo.com/33bf80f53d447cd13f3f8fb20162e876

the bones are disabled, which shows in the viewport

https://gyazo.com/037756ad0761eaeaa2d9cc6e733d2f0b

but when I try to rotate/keyframe any of the bones here, it doesn't let me. Is there somewhere else I am supposed to do this?

It seems like your 2nd layer is causing the glitches int he first example. Maybe try to bake your mixing into a single clip first. And in that second baked clip disable the arms and keyframe the joints in Object Manager. That might work.

If not maybe load the file here up. It is hard to tell from gifs

I can only reccomend to have a look at the cineversity tut. Do you have access to CV?

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/mixamo_to_cinema_4d_character_workflow?utm_content=buffere6ae9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Topic Author
  • On 1/22/2019 at 5:12 AM, zeden said:

It seems like your 2nd layer is causing the glitches int he first example. Maybe try to bake your mixing into a single clip first. And in that second baked clip disable the arms and keyframe the joints in Object Manager. That might work.

I can only reccomend to have a look at the cineversity tut. Do you have access to CV?

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/mixamo_to_cinema_4d_character_workflow?utm_content=buffere6ae9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

No, I do not have access to CV, although it does look like their final segment of that series is what I'm looking for. I'll try baking into a single clip for now and see what happens.

• Topic Author
  • On 1/22/2019 at 5:12 AM, zeden said:

Although, here is the file for anyone who can take a look and figure out what's going wrong  :)

Mixamo_Motion_Clip_Mixing_with_Hand_Keyframe_Help.zip