Hey guys!

I am looking for the easiest way to rig my character, ideally with "rubber hose" method. I've added bend deformer to all the limbs and it does exaxtly what I want, however if I want to make my character look down, up or back it no longer works. Can anyone suggest any simple method without getting too advanced on Spline IK and Biped rigging.  Maybe some "workarounds". The character itself is as primitive as it could get. Two legs , two arms and a head which is the part of the body. 1831957787_ScreenShot2019-01-12at14_47_16.thumb.png.8e579665aadbc11b071dab96af24f155.png

Hi

As the head is so short what did you have in mind when you say " look up and down"?  I cant see how there can be much movement to be had?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 59 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Hi

As the head is so short what did you have in mind when you say " look up and down"?  I cant see how there can be much movement to be had?

Dan

Basically I want the body to be "bendable" too. But if I apply Bend deformer to the entire Null then the character gets distorted 

55 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Basically I want the body to be "bendable" too. But if I apply Bend deformer to the entire Null then the character gets distorted 

The body doesn't have enough subdivision in the vertical direction (pelvis-to-shoulders) to be bendable. If you'd want the body to also be able to twist around its spine you then will also need to add some extra subdivisions left-to-right

• Like 1

this is the most simple solution i can think of... you won't be having much fun animating that though... better learn how to do proper IK, bend deformers are really no good for character animation.

robot_simple.c4d

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, everfresh said:

this is the most simple solution i can think of... you won't be having much fun animating that though... better learn how to do proper IK, bend deformers are really no good for character animation.

robot_simple.c4d

Hey thanks for that!! It actually works how I imagined. 

Hi Jennifer,

I added stretchy limbs to everfresh's rig and zeroed out the controllers (robot_simple_rubberhose.c4d, attached). This has Rubber Hose-esque controllers that should be easier for you to animate.

I animated a walk demonstrating the rig (robot_simple_walk.c4d, attached).

Rig.thumb.gif.1742b8215761972392ce186d31a17dc8.gif

robot_simple_rubberhose.c4d

robot_simple_walk.c4d

• Like 1