Hello,

I am experiencing a lag from my Skin Deformer. I am using Cinema 4D's Character Object along with some custom face joints/controls.

Skin_Lag.thumb.gif.cbef1369575609c2dae688876071275e.gif

As you can see in the above image, the joints and controls are one frame ahead of the Skin. Some notes on the Priorities:

• The joints are rigged with an IK Spline tag that has its Priority set to Generators 0
  • The Skin is at the top of the Object Manager and its priority is set to Generators -1 (see image, below)

Skin.thumb.PNG.ca25adf157c8305758770f5f5ac53c56.PNG

Can anyone please help me to get the joints and the skin in sync?

Thank you!

ok, set the xpresso tags back to expression 0 and the ik tags to generator -1 then everything works... for now... until you throw another component into the mix ;)

with the ik tag set to generators -1 the lip controllers now have a lag when you move them individually... with the ik-tags set to -2 this also get fixed.

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, everfresh said:

ok, set the xpresso tags back to expression 0 and the ik tags to generator -1 then everything works... for now... until you throw another component into the mix ;)

THANK YOU, everfresh! I really need to learn more about priorities. I found this video that I'm going to watch right now before doing any more rigging:

Thank you, again!

yeah i read up on this topic several times and i believe i watched this tutorial once, too.... but still priorities are a mystery to me... i mostly just go by trial and error to be honest... after a while you get a "feel" for it, more guts than brains :D

• Like 1

thing is, with a simple setup it's all pretty logical and clearly laid out for a human brain. but as rigs get more and more complex, i refuse to believe that there's anyone out there who can still overlook all the hundreds of dependencies of all the tags in a rig and knows by just thinking about it which numbers to put on what tag. like i said, after a while you just get a feel for it, i mostly can't explain why this now works from a logical standpoint ...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I agree about the difficult logic...for me, I was thinking that if the Skin Object was handled before the other Generators, that would fix its lag. But clearly it was more a complex relationship than that.

Is this specific to Cinema 4D? I don't think I've encountered these issues with Maya.

I pray that Cinema 4D hardware-accelerates its viewport as Maya has done so things can be computed in parallel.