spiralstair

Randomly switching on render instances

Hi all

i have an animation sequence which includes a cloner object  set to grid with 4,000 clones. The clones are static - camera moves through the clones like moving through a cloud.

is it possible to randomly animate when each of these clones appears as on in render?

so in frame 0 no clones appear and in frame 100 500 random clones appear and in frame 250 4,000 clones appear. 

By appear I mean off for render view and then on for render view next frame.

once on clones remain on.

im rendering in vray 3,61 and so ideally for compatibility this needs to be done in R19. I have R20 and if fields will be useful then I will move up to vray 3,7.

thanks

Effectors have an option called "visibility" which let's you control exactly that through any effector.

• Like 1
  • Namaste 1

Here are two examples. One using a noise with its brightness animated in a random effector. This will work in <= R19. 

In R20 you can use Fields which is much more elegant. Random Field sets initial values in a range from 0 to 0.5 (which means invisible). The time field will then add to those values until all of reached the threshold to turn the visibility on. 

Randomly_appearing_clonesR19.c4d

Randomly_appearing_clonesR20.c4d

• Like 1

Not sure I understand exactly what you have in mind. Do you want to randomly show and hide your clones without ever showing or hiding all of them? If that is the case then this is what you do. 

- Take the existing R20 file and delete the time Field from the Field list in the Effector

- Select the Random Field and set the max value in the remapping tab back to 100% 

- Switch to the "Field" tab of the Random field, switch the random mode to Noise, select a type that you like and increase the Animation Speed parameter.

• Like 1