Sign in to follow this  
Doughaddy

Phong question

Hi all, question for you about phongs: I have two objects that I want to connect (IE connect and delete) but one has a phong and the other should not have one (need to maintain the angles). When I try connecting them they end up sharing a phong which won't work. How can I connect these but maintain the shape of each? 

Thanks! 

Hi I could be on to the wrong track here but I think the Phong selection tool may be what your after.  Here is a video that shows it in action.

Dan

Using the connect object offers options on how to merge different "Phong tag" settings. After that you can make it editable.

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, Fritz said:

Using the connect object offers options on how to merge different "Phong tag" settings. After that you can make it editable.

Thanks... I've tried that but I don't see how to get to the point of two different phong settings. The connect object seems to just use the settings from whichever object is on top. I'll attach an example here and hopefully someone can show me how to how to different phong settings on one single object. 

One thing that seemed to be working was to put my "topo" layer in the Connect "object" field... that looks right until you make it editable. 

Thanks in advance! 

Phong-test.c4d

Why use the connect object? Why not just keep the meshes seperate? I can't see what's achieved by using the connect object.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, 3DKiwi said:

Why use the connect object? Why not just keep the meshes seperate? I can't see what's achieved by using the connect object.

Thanks Kiwi... in the end I need to export these for web as a DAE and the two objects need to be a single layer (there are a bunch of similar layers, too). But I just can't figure out how to apply the phong to just the topo and not the pit. The pit has to be quite geometric looking but the topo should be smooth -- the phong works great for it but not the pit. 

Ideally I could apply the phong to the topo and then make the topo and pit a single object and the phong would carry over only to the topo parts of the new joined/single object. 

One thing you could do is combine the objects. You then select the edges of the pit part and break the phong shading. This makes that part facetted and the top part smooth.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Kiwi, finally figured out that the tool to use wasn't the "phong break selection" under the select menu but the "break phong shading" under the edge mode menu. Saved by Kiwi again! Cheers!