Sign in to follow this  
Rectro

Charlize Theron Digital Double W.I.P

Author of the topic Posted

This is the first main pass for her anatomy, and likeness.  The hair was made from hair system using generate polygons from hair, then I run it though Volumes.  Im very pleased with the results so far even as a sculpt.  The time spent on making a good base mesh has really helped.  I also can't over emphasise how good the sculpting tools are in C4D, this is not all Zbrush sculpting.  The render below is in C4D using Vray Alsurface, no GI.  Il work on this maybe Monday, but its hard to pull myself away when I'm in flow.

Dan

step 8 anatomy.png

Looking great so far mate:2gwb921::clint_eastwood:

Better Workflow between Zbrush and C4D

Stepping into the link between Zbrush and C4D Iv found a much better workflow this time around.  I do not bother with maps during the likeness process but duplicate the Zbrush model and delete all levels apart from level 4.  I send this over to C4D to check likeness.  The lighting, SSS, hair, shadows and certainly the camera perspective can change allot.

Dan

Im back on this very soon, totally forgot about it as I diverted to the Steampunk project.  Now with Ornatrix in my grasps I should get close to what I have in mind.  I was hoping by now Random Walk would be in Redshift but if needed I will have to go back to Vray which means back to R20.  Anyways, Il be back on this very soon. 

One good thing is now Zbrush has a accurate camera, this is a huge deal as now I can match the likeness between Zbrush and C4D due to new camera in Zbrush and ability to export it with its setup.

As always I will try to make it educational showing workflows, and progress.

Dan

Hi Guys.

Here is a W.I.P groom I started last night. Still finding my way with optimized workflows with Ornatrix, but overall am happy so far. Crits welcome. (Image from google search Charlize Theron)

55256684_chalisetherontestonly-RSv2-w.i.p).thumb.jpg.f14a62ca46a850d8627ea609d6deddc2.jpg

Here is a evaluation of where Im at and things to improve on.  Il get back to the likeness once I have hair in place as the hair can have a dramatic effect on how we perceive the look of the face.

W.I.P.thumb.jpg.5b6074d33f8491fedba5c7e8ca13a843.jpg

Thanks, Dan

10 hours ago, Rectro said:

once I have hair in place

that's very interesting, is that a standard way to work?

8 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

that's very interesting, is that a standard way to work?

Making hair like this at this stage, no its not a standard way to work, but I would normally still make a proxy hair object in Zbrush which is a standard way to work.  Trying to get likeness without hair is hard.  In this case I skipped making a proxy object and went directly in and made hair with Ornatrix as Im learning it at the moment so want to use every opportunity I can to use it.  Regardless what I do with the character I can use the hair over and over again from one character to another.

What I will do is convert the hair to mesh then export that into Zbrush.  Il do the same for lashes and brows as well.

Dan

On 5/11/2020 at 4:13 AM, Rectro said:

Making hair like this at this stage, no its not a standard way to work, but I would normally still make a proxy hair object in Zbrush which is a standard way to work.  Trying to get likeness without hair is hard.  In this case I skipped making a proxy object and went directly in and made hair with Ornatrix as Im learning it at the moment so want to use every opportunity I can to use it.  Regardless what I do with the character I can use the hair over and over again from one character to another.

What I will do is convert the hair to mesh then export that into Zbrush.  Il do the same for lashes and brows as well.

Dan

Oh, if you could share a bit of the process with the proxy hair! ❤️  That would mean a lot 🙂
I almost did it in a older project I did, using C4D and Zbrush, but i couldnt find any good sources to learn that from. 
So I ended up doing stylised hair / like the game Overwatch a little bit, which ended up working out in the end, specially for animation: 

PS: I am mesmerized by your awesome topology and how you built this from scratch 🙂
I am looking forward to see the final result!!

@FLima  You got nice result there. 

For proxy hair its nothing special, it just fills a void to help the look dev for the face.  A sphere pulled into basic volume, the primary form, then converted to dynamesh, still quite low poly.  Using the move tool to form the silhouette then secondary forms are added. Zremesh it then sculpt into the details.  So its Volume, primary forms, Secondary, then detail.  Its good to have a reference as the mind can wander off to another style and it looks wrong.  S curves are so important, I never leave a straight edge unless that's required but I will always add a S curve to counter balance weight and form into rhythm and flow.  

Topology wise if you look at page 1 your see I lay down the essential loops first, then fill in the gaps.  Its good idea to keep the loops with even numbers then you wont end up with a triangle. 

The hardest thing with doing it this way for beginners is attaining volume in 3D space.  Working from front and side views  can start off ok until you look in the Perspective view and see it lacks correct volume and contours.   The way around this is not a short term solution, but Zbrush helps a great deal as it teaches you how you perceive volume in 3D space.

Anatomy is also essential as without it its  like feeling your way around a dark room, hit and miss, and thats frustrating when you think you got it down, but next time things dont go so well, this is a sure indication you just got lucky.  Stylized you can get away with a lot in this regard but you have to push appeal so its still good to understand anatomy even at a basic level.  Anatomy teaches volume and contour, and that teaches edge flow, and then half you retopology decisions are already grounded.  Once you can add loops, be in control over where poles are added for directional changes, how to reduce, or increase edges to say a wrist, or neck your off to a good start.  This is why I start with the palm of the hand as the hand has to have the right number of edges to fit to the arm, and if it dont you need to plan how your going to reduce it evenly.  

Dan