Sign in to follow this  
rasputin

Does C4D employ a built-in LOD feature?

I'm curious:  Am I right in thinking that C4D uses a kind of built-in LOD (Level of Detail) for objects rendered,  depending on how close they are to the camera?

For example,   in an ultra close-up of an object,   the C4D renderer will work hard to capture (and Antialias)  every single nuance of your texture... Whereas,  if that same object is far away,   the renderer will not "work as hard"---   and go more quickly---    because it knows that the tiny details won't be perceptible anyway?

Is it a good strategy for speeding up rendertime to assign different objects different LOD's?      Like,  if I don't want the renderer to "work too hard" on some objects in a scene?   As it stands,  I have a textured stucco wall in my scene (including some Normal and Displacement)...   and the renderer is spending an eternity on it,  capturing every tiny little nuance of the stucco... when it's the foreground objects I'm primarily interested in,  not the wall.

Thoughts?  Hints?  Ideas?

Thanks,  ras

Yes it was added to R19. You can find it in the Create->Modeling->LOD. Its also right in the main tool bar at the top of C4D.

I would just do a quick check of the C4D docs for "LOD" to see if it suits your needs.

• Topic Author
  • waitaminnit---   am i fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of LOD?   Does it only apply to your model's polycount... not affecting the textures in any way?

LOD can mean many things. The LOD Kent pointed at is an object that can provide different versions of a model depending on view, this could include different (simpler/faster) materials. There is no automatizm though that would use lower sampled bitmaps for rendering. I'm not even sure this would make any difference since the bitmap is held in memory anyway. The renderer requires some information for each pixel (or subpixel) rendered, using lower res bitmaps doesn't speed this up much since it is usually processing that costs time, not simple data access.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks,   srek,  very helpful.  I am preparing to render a very complex scene,  filled with many objects...  I'm trying to pull out every trick in the book for making the render go faster.

Disable Displacement if possible. But in that regard there is a kind of automatic LOD. If that wall covers the whole screen there are more pixels and details requried to render those areas as if it only covers a few pixels in the backgrouond. It might take as much time per pixel but we talk about a few hundred pixels in the distance vs. millions on full screen.

Apart from that renderers might do other simplifications like automatically reduce the tesselation/subdivision in the background.

But in general, if you can for objects in the distance, try to disable everything you can if you want to improve render time.
    This can be shadow casting, vissibility for AO, GI, Displacement (subdivision), refraction or simply polycount. Texture resolution on the other hand should not have an effect unless your RAM starts to fill up.