Whiteknight

Glas isn't transparent

Hi,

I have this silly question:

I created a spot consisting of a (simple) bronce mount and a (very simple) glass bulp.

But no matter what I do, the glass is not getting transparent at all.

The material preview looks brillant, but the lens in the project resembles frozen glass:

Spot.thumb.png.533af7d0b116450800cfbea2291b2fa7.png

Moreover, I added a light to the scenery, but the light object doesn't even shed light on the mount, although it's just 1 cm away from the mount.

What am I doing wrong?

Spot.c4d

The glass is Transparent, but there is nothing behind it to show it, in other words the environment or another object.  The Refraction can be too high which will bend and distort.  Try to bring down the refraction and put a object behind it for tests, your see it is transparent.

Dan

transparent.png

Another thing to note is that glass has thickness, your geometry has non so wont look realistic.  In the image below I used extrude with caps turned on then extruded inwards, see the difference.

1909788624_glasslayer.thumb.png.683ebc4acbd8228f9f89501245e163cb.png

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for replying.

No fundamental change, I'm afraid (see updated project attached).

I'm using the "Glass" preset for refraction. Shouldn't this yield proper results? Even if I change Refraction to 1.17, the glass still is milky.

Spot.c4d

You have added color to your glass, and your transparency brightness is at 95%. That is the source of the milkyness. If you want a little color in your glass, but keep it nice and clear, turn off color channel and add the color in the transparency channel instead, with brightness to 100%. Anything below 100% makes it less clear, i.e. milky.

Edit: Also just noticed you have a solid lens inside of another solid lens, under a connect. Not really sure what you're trying to achieve there as the result is the same as just the single bigger lens. 

can you try this?

as Vizn said I also don't understand the double lens unless it would be slightly smaller and have a different coating perhaps, but maybe you can explain

I noticed your color was checked, but I recommend to do this in the transparency itself and check off the color entirely

your reflectance channel has the missing component Layer fresnel > Dielectric > Glass which gives a bit more realism to be honest

or you could add also add Dielectric Pearl which gives the illusion of coatings 

glass.c4d

Screen Shot.png

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Spot.jpg

coated glass.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Please bear with me. I am assigned to a couple of appointments and won't be able to attend until mid of the week. I will return for sure.

Thanks so much for all your valuable replies! <3

I'll read them mid of the week!

• Topic Author
  • @vanderleden and @Vizn:

In your sample, the second glass object that's behind the first glass object isn't visible through the first object.

I only see 100 % bended reflections, but I never see "unbended" transparency at all. Isn't it possible to also see "through" a glass object, at least to some amount?

Lense 1.png Lense 2.png

Spot.c4d

Using two equal objects, one smaller than the other, and combining them using the Boolean "without" object is my standard procedure for creating kind of a "volumetric" hollow object with defined wall width.

A bottle - or a glass bulp - usually is hollow and has a wall width of approx. 1 mm. Using the above combination I create an object that's resembling this real world situation. It "cuts" the inner object from the outer object.

To make a hollow object (this is referred to as a hull object, like a ship has a solid hull, but it's open inside), you need to use the 'Union' type on the boole. A without B basically says "render A without B" which is the same as B not being there at all and just rendering A alone.

6 hours ago, Whiteknight said:

@vanderleden and @Vizn:

In your sample, the second glass object that's behind the first glass object isn't visible through the first object.

I only see 100 % bended reflections, but I never see "unbended" transparency at all. Isn't it possible to also see "through" a glass object, at least to some amount?

Lense 1.png Lense 2.png

Spot.c4d

Using two equal objects, one smaller than the other, and combining them using the Boolean "without" object is my standard procedure for creating kind of a "volumetric" hollow object with defined wall width.

A bottle - or a glass bulp - usually is hollow and has a wall width of approx. 1 mm. Using the above combination I create an object that's resembling this real world situation. It "cuts" the inner object from the outer object.

use xsThickness 

it's a free plugin

http://www.xsyann.com/plugins/xsthickness/