Sign in to follow this  
howie

baking x particles

Hey. Anyone know how or if you can bake x particles generated objects? I basically have an emitter generating a load of objects but I want to be able to work with them as keyframed objects like you can if you use a cloner and bake it to keyframes. Thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, howie said:

Hey. Anyone know how or if you can bake x particles generated objects? I basically have an emitter generating a load of objects but I want to be able to work with them as keyframed objects like you can if you use a cloner and bake it to keyframes. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure how many particles you are generating, but I am just wondering what you want to edit/keyframe outside of the native controls in X-Particles that makes you want to bake the particle animation?  XP has some pretty good controls for insuring you are getting the desired particle motion.  If you are only dealing with a small amount of particles, then maybe just use MoGraph.  I can't imagine going through the keyframes on very high particle count animations that is possible with X-Particles (eg. many hundreds, thousands or even millions).

Now, if you want to cache the particle animation for quicker feedback and to scrub  the animation back and forth, then use the xpCache object under the Other Objects tab.  You can either drag in the emitter or the generator depending on what you still want to be able to change after the file is cached.  

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply. Reason I'm using XP is because I want to have particles born at 0 scale and then grow to a specific size whilst having soft body interaction as they grow. Since the object that will be a soft body is quite complex I was going to use a simplified object to deform the more complex one.  That's why I was going to convert from particles to objects.  There may well be a better way to do that but this was what I came up with. Maybe it'snot possible to go from particles to objects like that.

5 hours ago, howie said:

Thanks for the reply. Reason I'm using XP is because I want to have particles born at 0 scale and then grow to a specific size whilst having soft body interaction as they grow. Since the object that will be a soft body is quite complex I was going to use a simplified object to deform the more complex one.  That's why I was going to convert from particles to objects.  There may well be a better way to do that but this was what I came up with. Maybe it'snot possible to go from particles to objects like that.

I would assume by soft body interactions that the particles are spheres or blobs of some sort and/or you going for a type of bubble look?  If so, I do recall a YouTube video from Insydium as part of their XP4 2018 Sneak Peek where Bob Walmsley applied an xpCloth modifier to a sphere, added some xpTurbulence and other modifiers and got this very cool looking softbody type animation (without the overhead that true softbody dynamics can give you).  He did it as a demo and was surprised at quality of the results.

I can't remember which YouTube tutorial it was as it wasn't labeled as "how to make bubbles using cloth" but rather part of a feature overview.  You could ask at the Insydium forums.

I hope that helps.

Dave