UV mapping issue

roaring

Hi all

I have a (probably very simple) UV issue with a model supplied to me - see attached image (which is only  a small part of the full model). The mesh is unevenly divided (see upper part of column) and the uvmap is causing the textures to stretch (as per checkerboard). Tried deleting material tag, reapplying as cubic mapping and using generate uvs, which of course results in a cubic-mapped object which is not what is needed.

How can I quickly fix this, short of asking for a new model? Seems I need a way to either tell the uv tag to respect the size of the model and ignore the size differences in the polys, or a way of subdividing the mesh more evenly...

I'm on R20 - any help much appreciated.

R

column-1.png

Hi

It wont matter so much that the mesh in not evenly divided as your issue is down to the Uvs. You haven't shown a image of the Uvs so cant say much other than they are wrong if the image your showing is using the Uvs for that checker pattern.  Next step would be for you to either send me the model and il take a look or show me the Uvs.  In either case your need to select the seams if they are not already done so well, cut them unfold and relax the Uvs.

Dan

Many thanks Dan... and thanks for the offer to help out. It sounds like it'd be best if I go back to the modeller and get them to take a look at their end, as there's a lot more objects in the model that need attention. Otherwise I'll look for some online resources about unfolding/relaxing UVs as you suggest. 

Best

Rory