Sign in to follow this  
ConceptHobo

Cloner Distribution Using Vertex Map

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been covered before but I've been battling with this all morning and can't seem to find the solution anywhere online.

I'm trying to distribute clones using a vertex map. I've found a way to use xPresso and convert the vertex map to a selection and essential use that in the cloner selection. Problem is that I want to animate the Vertex map. So that solution leads to popping as the selection is only activated when the Vertex weight is at 100%. 

My initial thought was that I could colourize the Vertex Map and use that to drive a Shader Effector but for some reason, the Shader Effector does not seem to like that.

Anybody have any ideas how to get around this. I would really appreciate it as this is starting to drive me a little mad.

I've attached a file.

Thanks in advance.

Shader_Effector_Vertex_Map.c4d

• Topic Author
  • So if anyone is interested. I found a solution and ended up just settling with a brute force technique of baking the texture with the Bake Texture tag.

This seems to work fine but is not the most elegant solution, so if anyone else has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Shader_Effector_Vertex_Map_02.zip

In R20 you can control the visibility with just a vertex map field in a plain effector (with visibility enabled).

• Topic Author
  • Hey mate, thanks for getting back to me.

Probably should've said that I've tried that too. It's basically the same problem when using visibility as with the point selection because it only works like an absolute value. I need the clones sizing up as the vertex map changes from 0% to 100%.