RobertL

Affect center objects, but not instance

After importing many CAD objects, I have the problem that all are centered to the world center. 

Now I would love to set the center of the Mesh Objects to their middle, but without affecting the instances. 

Haven't found a way doing that. Maybe it needs a script.

Its important that many objects in a selection get affected. Its not even easy to judge which got an instance and which not.

Any tipps?

Hmmm. You are asking to do something that is contrary to the whole point of instances ! Why don't you want them affected also ? Center Axis tool should do all the original objects at once, but that will inevitably change the instances as well, and I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent that while they remain instances.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Well in theory its not so complicated. So for example if your reference mesh get an offset of x = -100 then your instances need to get a new reference of x = + 100 to compensate the difference.

In other applications this is called child compensation or transform compensation.

One trick is to select all instances the mesh object and then apply the same transform negativ. 

Its not difficult to do that in a script, but I'm not into C4D scripting yet.