bezo

Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe

I have been using Substance Painter for a while now. Purchased version 1 when it came out, and upgraded over the years.

And while we don't actually know what the future will bring, I honestly don't have a good feeling about this merge with Adobe.

I am still using an old perpetual license of Photoshop CS5.1, and wouldn't mind staying behind with Substance Painter 2.x if they ever intend to go subscription only.

But as said, no idea how things will evolve ...

It's certainly a confusing move on Adobe's part.  They don't even have a proper 3D animation app, but they're going to sell professional UV and texturing tools??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, natevplas said:

It's certainly a confusing move on Adobe's part.  They don't even have a proper 3D animation app, but they're going to sell professional UV and texturing tools??

leaves me also a bit puzzled.

from a financial aspect i welcome that move as a creative cloud subscriber. curious what the effect on development will be. not seen much innovation in adobe apps over the last couple of years.

• Like 1

As a long time Allegorithmic user, I have a bad feeling about this one.

The customer service alone  between the two companies makes for a huge difference (Allegorithmic being truly close to the 3D community  and displaying fantastic support system). Perhaps Allegorithmic's disruptive days are coming to a halt, but I've been wrong before. 

No good can come from this, from a user standpoint that is. more times than not when you get under Adobe's umbrella you cease to exist.  I'll hold out hope but will expect the worse.  there is already 28 pages on Allegorithmic's site announcement forum and no one is giving this a thumbs up.  people are really PO'd

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.

The one thing to think about regarding "you cease to exist" is that mostly refers to competitive products. For example, Illustrator and Freehand, Dreamweaver and GoLive!. Those competitor apps were "merged" into Adobe's apps. I still think GoLive was better than Dreamweaver, but I digress. There is no reason for Adobe not to keep developing or keep the existing team together since they were not already in the 3D material business. They do have the consumer-based Dimension which would benefit. It uses Vray to render which is impressive. The problem there is the learning curve for Dimensions is pretty simple, but not so for Substance. If you only have CC then it's probably a good thing if they add it to the cloud.

And of course AE has a direct link to C4D which would also benefit from Substance. There is some hope I think.

Okay, incoming super noob question :

Does using substance designer and other apps made by allegorithmic help make my textures more realistic? And do I get more functionality over the default texture editor on c4d?

Please let me know if this is an inappropriate place to ask questions... I'll delete this and start a new post then. Thanks in advance.

@Ayush From what I've seen, yes their system is a very deep, node-based material system. Reminds me of the Unreal Engine 4 material editor. C4D now has a node editor, but I'm not sure if it matches Substance, at least not yet. You can find many physically based rendering (PBR) materials. A set of Diffuse, Bump, Normal, Gloss, Reflection and Ambient Occlusion which can be used in standard C4D materials to get very nice results. Substance provides scalability and easy adjustments after you set it up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ayush said:

Okay, incoming super noob question :

Does using substance designer and other apps made by allegorithmic help make my textures more realistic? And do I get more functionality over the default texture editor on c4d?

Please let me know if this is an inappropriate place to ask questions... I'll delete this and start a new post then. Thanks in advance.

Hi Ayush,

in Substance Painter you paint textures and more important: Materials! C4D Bodypaint only paints textures. 

The second point is you paint your materials on the 3d Model until it looks good and on export you can generate the textures for whatever render engine you like. You have a game? Export PBR realtime textures for your specific engine. You render in Arnold a film? Export Arnold shader textures. You render in Redshift? Export Redshift textures. etc etc.

Substance Designer is a node based material generator. You design the materials there you later use in Subtance Painter.

It is a major workflow boost compared to classic texture painting because all shader maps are painted at the same time and you get immediate visual feedback how the material looks like in rendering while painting.

From Adobe standpoint it makes total sense to buy Allegorithmic. Because basically the Substance tools are nothing else but texture map generators/painters that often go hand in hand with Photoshop/Illustrator in production. Merging them would make complete sense. Let's see if they come up with a modeling software, too.

I wish MAXON would be more aggressive in buying apps for UVW, PBR texure painting tools, cloth sims, fluid and liquids etc. Because they are loosing massive ground on the traditional VFX field.

• Like 1

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity