Sign in to follow this  
VECTOR

Jedi Apprentice 2.0

4 hours ago, VECTOR said:

haha no, unfortunately not, although i did get a phone call once offering me a job regarding short term character work at Aardman studios, but it was too far away and i didn't know Maya

yeah, Maya is going all the way these days, so I hear...

I don't know Maya at all, I know a bit Blender, a bit more of some DAZ apps, and getting to know more C4D which is enough for my hobby

you sure make a hell of a big entry with your skill so I'm not surprised that THEY call YOU

keep it up m8

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, vanderleden said:

yeah, Maya is going all the way these days, so I hear...

I don't know Maya at all, I know a bit Blender, a bit more of some DAZ apps, and getting to know more C4D which is enough for my hobby

you sure make a hell of a big entry with your skill so I'm not surprised that THEY call YOU

keep it up m8

:D haha thanks, yea it was a bit of a shame , would have been an amazing opportunity to work at a famous studio, ah well you win some you lose some i guess, hes coming along now, just posted a new update :D 

Coming along nicely!  Couple things I noticed that might help:

1) There is something about his upper arm that doesn't feel right.  First of all it's the size of a body builder's bicep, but lacks definition.  But more importantly if this is supposed to be a very young man, that sort of breaks the illusion.

2)  His left eyebrow looks too high based on the mesh.  I think you either need to push the mesh up higher or bring the brow hair lower (or both).

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, natevplas said:

Coming along nicely!  Couple things I noticed that might help:

1) There is something about his upper arm that doesn't feel right.  First of all it's the size of a body builder's bicep, but lacks definition.  But more importantly if this is supposed to be a very young man, that sort of breaks the illusion.

2)  His left eyebrow looks too high based on the mesh.  I think you either need to push the mesh up higher or bring the brow hair lower (or both)

His left brow is the original height , the right one along with the eyelid has been lowered slightly , just to give slight expression  as I'm not sure on the final one yet, arms I didn't want to add any sort of definition there as I don't want to go too detailed with the anatomy, and also didn't want to portray him as overly muscular but I wanted them to be over sized to contrast the size of the legs and give him more of a strong warrior type image, i don't think they're so big to the point they don't fit with the character, if you compare the the upper arm to the size of the hands and forearms, they're not really proportionally much bigger than a normal arm, although i chose to give him a longer forearm and shorter upper arm, so maybe thats whats sticking out for you visually (larger upper arm, spread over a smaller amount of space)  the whole arm is just generally larger than you'd expect, but that's mainly due to the style of the character and the proportions i chose to go with.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:02 PM, VECTOR said:

His left brow is the original height , the right one along with the eyelid has been lowered slightly , just to give slight expression  as I'm not sure on the final one yet, arms I didn't want to add any sort of definition there as I don't want to go too detailed with the anatomy, and also didn't want to portray him as overly muscular but I wanted them to be over sized to contrast the size of the legs and give him more of a strong warrior type image, i don't think they're so big to the point they don't fit with the character, if you compare the the upper arm to the size of the hands and forearms, they're not really proportionally much bigger than a normal arm, although i chose to give him a longer forearm and shorter upper arm, so maybe thats whats sticking out for you visually (larger upper arm, spread over a smaller amount of space)  the whole arm is just generally larger than you'd expect, but that's mainly due to the style of the character and the proportions i chose to go with.

Looking at the eyebrows again, I think I see what you mean.  It's hard to tell just from a still.  Obviously it's super subjective at this point!  :D  You're putting a lot of thought into this and it's paying off.  

On a side note, I liked the mo-hawk if you're considering bringing it back.  Might be cool to do shaved designs on the sides of his head too.

Guest mbyrne

Great modelling skills - hat down!

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, mbyrne said:

Great modelling skills - hat down!

Haha cheers man 

• Topic Author
  • wats up guys , so felt like ass last week so didn't make any progress on the Jedi, feeling better now though so moved on to some look dev for the body materials :D

(click for full size)

dd03ves-617baf03-d6b5-45f5-ab50-7e5bac4f

dd03ve4-5a58f884-524c-4271-bca7-3b0e2225 

dd03v7l-b02809fc-62e2-4f44-893f-7b98709f

dd03v34-2d4a20c3-702c-4942-b178-3e341264

Looking good, nice render.

Wow, I love all the subtle bump maps!  I didn't even notice them until I clicked the images and zoomed in.  I wonder if maybe the cloth of the shirt and pants could be a little less subtle- to break it up a little and be more visible in wide shots...  Your perfect polys and UVs are really paying off here.  I don't see any stretching or inconsistencies in scaling for you UVs, which just makes everything look really, really clean :D

• Topic Author
  • On 2/19/2019 at 2:38 PM, natevplas said:

Wow, I love all the subtle bump maps!  I didn't even notice them until I clicked the images and zoomed in.  I wonder if maybe the cloth of the shirt and pants could be a little less subtle- to break it up a little and be more visible in wide shots...  Your perfect polys and UVs are really paying off here.  I don't see any stretching or inconsistencies in scaling for you UVs, which just makes everything look really, really clean :D

Yea im still playing around with all the materials , i already have my next project lined up, made a female base mesh some time ago that has up till now been unused so that should be good :D

Looking good. The textures have a vinyl toy kind of look which is working.  Like the GI from the light sabers.