Sign in to follow this  
Fastbee

Think of New Features for C4D

There are a lot of people here in the cafe that also works at MAXON.  That makes this a great place to post suggested improvements to Cinema 4D.  People can also send a suggestion to Suggestions at MAXON.net, but with a post such as this the amount people that want a new suggested feature can be seen through the number of likes people give the post.  The improvements can also be well organized in one place.

Here is the video I made as an example of what should be posted here. 

Please click on "new c4d features 1.mp4"

If anyone was wondering I originally I made this video as an example of my UX design skills for a job.  They understandably rejected me, but I still hope the changes in the video are put in C4D at a later time.  I did heavy editing in the video with icon making to make it look like the features were already a part of C4D.  I have no idea what they are actually working on.

This post is not for any bugs or things not working.  This thread should be purely for new features big and small for Cinema 4D.  Please try to show why the feature would be so cool instead of only explaining it in text form.

A proper Shell Command, complete with inner and outer distances and control loop options. There are plugins that do this (although not currently that work in R20 !) but it should be part of any serious modelling toolkit.

CBR

I'd like to see Cinema picking up the slack left by natural world simulator applications like Vue and Terragen.

Primarily this could involve:

1. A much improved landscape object that features higher resolution, camera-based geometry resolution fall-off, and natural effects like erosion, weathering, and the ability to draw landscapes as well to use any / layered noise types, including some new ones specifically for the task.

2. A Tree Creator

3. A much need revamp of the physical sky and atmospheric settings.

4. An ocean surface generator that has similar camera-based geo res falloff, and can deal with truly massive bodies of water and interaction with things in it.

CBR

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I'd like to see Cinema picking up the slack left by natural world simulator applications like Vue and Terragen.

Primarily this could involve:

1. A much improved landscape object that features higher resolution, camera-based geometry resolution fall-off, and natural effects like erosion, weathering, and the ability to draw landscapes as well to use any / layered noise types, including some new ones specifically for the task.

2. A Tree Creator

3. A much need revamp of the physical sky and atmospheric settings.

4. An ocean surface generator that has similar camera-based geo res falloff, and can deal with truly massive bodies of water and interaction with things in it.

CBR

If they implemented stuff like this before pushing Prorender, Uvw tools, Bodypaint, Particels , Cloth, Liquids, Fluids and Rigging tools they for sure would get a massive stick on the forums ;)

Improved cloth and dynamics simulation. Liquid simulation would be nice as well.

Better file import/export (e.g. FBX)

I would hope that MAXON knows what features its users want at this point. There's been countless discussions for years now on various message boards, before and after every new release. 

I would like the ability to color code the text of objects in the object manager, or perhaps change the background color of the row. The purpose would be for ease of scanning large lists of objects, as one gets with Arch Viz type scenes. Using the search/filter is fine, but I think something to make certain text stand out a bit more could make quick glances easier. Just a thought. :)

You can color Nulls in OM did you know? I just learned that a few months ago :)

There are certainly lots of things I would like... but I'm really hopeful MAXON comes through with an awesome Node Editor API for third party renderers and Xpresso with the new nodes. 

Also I would really like to be able just drag and drop materials into a node window and have multiple materials being controlled from one node editor, just like the new Corona Node editor.  I haven't used the nodes much yet, but what is the point of having all the materials types in there as nodes..you can't seem to do anything with them?  So for me... the top right now. new Xpresso nodes, new node API, global node editor(if you so choose) with ability to edit multuple materials/objects.  and UV, Bodypaint, and performance improvements. 

On 2/11/2019 at 3:49 AM, zeden said:

You can color Nulls in OM did you know? I just learned that a few months ago :)

Ah, well how about that! I've only ever used the display color option for CAD splines to differentiate from geometry. Better than nothing at this point. Thanks for the tip!