Sign in to follow this  
bleepurchin

Noise shader - Directional Movement.

Ok it is about time this  one was solved once and for all!

TASK - Animate noise in the noise shader and have it move in either the X,Y Z  direction.  

I have searched the internet sooo many times for this answer to this and NEVER find anything satisfactory.  Usually you end up moving the coordinates of the texture which isn't always possible.  (The noise maybe needed to drive something else (particles) in a specific direction).

Whenever I think to get started with this problem, I look straight at the 'MOVEMENT' option in the noise shader where the magic SHOULD happen.... However, never have I had any luck with this... SPEED and MOVEMENT do absolutely NOTHING!

What on earth is the answer to this AGE OLD problem which frankly shouldn't exist anymore!  

Many thanks,

Luke.

noise.jpg

I don't have R13 any more, but having just tested it in latest version it works entirely as expected.

1158884025_DirectionalNoise.gif.8f356131cc006234c5f02adf04e51c25.gif

CBR

8 hours ago, bleepurchin said:

Ok it is about time this  one was solved once and for all!

TASK - Animate noise in the noise shader and have it move in either the X,Y Z  direction.  

I have searched the internet sooo many times for this answer to this and NEVER find anything satisfactory.  Usually you end up moving the coordinates of the texture which isn't always possible.  (The noise maybe needed to drive something else (particles) in a specific direction).

Whenever I think to get started with this problem, I look straight at the 'MOVEMENT' option in the noise shader where the magic SHOULD happen.... However, never have I had any luck with this... SPEED and MOVEMENT do absolutely NOTHING!

What on earth is the answer to this AGE OLD problem which frankly shouldn't exist anymore!  

Many thanks,

Luke.

noise.jpg

i suspect you have animate preview turned off in your materials editor settings? 

Thanks for responding guys.  However, I had already done all of these options.  Even here NO ONE came up with the answer!

Checking your scene HSrdelic, I was able to look at what the differences were between us.

14 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Like this?

Noise.c4d

EDIT: Jay was faster :)

THE answer is to make sure the Open GL setting have 'NOISES' checked in the Viewer....! 

(YES YOU CAN ALREADY SEE NOISE IN THE VIEWER BEFORE THIS IS CHECKED)

Soooo.... WHY can you see the noise before this is checked?? The only thing that changes when you select this is the 'SPEED' and 'MOVEMENT' are suddenly visible in the viewer!

This has got to be one of THE most stupid things in C4D - Fix this please MAXON!  

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 09.13.29.png

5 hours ago, bleepurchin said:

Soooo.... WHY can you see the noise before this is checked?? The only thing that changes when you select this is the 'SPEED' and 'MOVEMENT' are suddenly visible in the viewer!

No, that's not the only things that changes- you also get a lot more detail and the specific type of noise you have selected is accurately displayed. When the OpenGL noise is disabled Cinema STILL tries to show you a rough idea of what the noise is doing, and most people consider that helpful rather than stupid, and in the majority of cases we don't need to see how noise is animating and playback can be a lot faster if the software doesn't have to calculate that. Well done Cinema for giving us both options ! 

CBR

18 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No, that's not the only things that changes- you also get a lot more detail and the specific type of noise you have selected is accurately displayed. When the OpenGL noise is disabled Cinema STILL tries to show you a rough idea of what the noise is doing, and most people consider that helpful rather than stupid, and in the majority of cases we don't need to see how noise is animating and playback can be a lot faster if the software doesn't have to calculate that. Well done Cinema for giving us both options ! 

CBR

Sorry, but it makes no sense at all to have an 'idea' of what the noise is.  If you can see the noise, you should be able to SEE the noise and all it's settings.   No other shader requires you to have an option ticked to see it working properly...!

14 hours ago, everfresh said:

happy to hear you managed to solve your "age old" "problem" after so many years of confusion.

You honour us with such a response, oh wise one...