Info News:
  • C4D Cafe 2.0 COMING SOON!

Sign in to follow this  
nobdoy

Curtain

Dear Cinema4D people,

I would like to hang this curtain on the pipe through the curtain holes.
I am so far that I know that I probably have to use a cloth belt but from there I have no idea how to proceed.
How would YOU do this? 
image.thumb.png.6f38a138388d026e0753e6236d49df80.png
image.thumb.png.3cc8f811c491632b5fb463a18dc2be41.png

Yes we can do this using cloth, but I suggest you start with a different setup.

What I did was create one panel (with 1 hole at the top) from a plane object, then angled it 45 degrees, did a copy at -45 degrees, Connected them together (Connect Object, weld on, make editable),  then moved the axis to bottom left and cloned the resulting '2-panel' mesh into a row of them. That went under another Connect Object, which welded them together, then that went under a cloth surface to add 1 level of subdivision and thickness, then lastly all that went under an SDS set to L1 just to smooth things out a little.

1515448591_Curtain1.thumb.JPG.c07c983007b1685cbeb2abaac087bb78.JPG  13197748_Curtainrail2.thumb.JPG.58d097d8cbe832aa90d4560516fc67cf.JPG

Then I just put regular cloth collider on the rail, and a cloth tag on the (now) editable connect object. This simulates quite well with default settings, but the holes stretch slightly. We could improve that by increasing cloth iterations to 2 or 3, or maybe even by making a vertex map where the weighting is heaviest near the holes, then use that in the stiffness (or other map slots) in the cloth settings...

At least that's how I'd do it; there will be other ways as well no doubt...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Thank you sooooooooo much, you helped me out a lot <333

Good advice. It's always good to give things like simulations and deforming (characters) a "hint" at what they're supposed to look like.

• Topic Author
  • Hey @Cerbera
    I've followed all your instructions, but something doesn't seem to work.
    As you can see, the edges come apart once the cloth tag is added. (and they completely seperate when it's totally relaxed)
    I must have done something wrong. I made sure weld was on when I connected the objects. Maybe it's the placing of the planes next to each other, or the high amount of subdivisions? 

image.thumb.png.b4db0cc47b683b8e74dd4858d5e94c73.png

There's so many factors that could cause this, I will need to see your file to be able to advise. Pls upload a version with just the components we're talking about...

CBR

Ok, you haven't quite followed my plans ;) The hole you have made is not nicely constructed from quads like mine was, which cloth requires in order to behave properly. Your holes are a horrible mess of triangles presumably caused by using a boole to make them. Fix that, and everything will be a lot better.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, you haven't quite followed my plans ;) The hole you have made is not nicely constructed from quads like mine was, which cloth requires in order to behave properly. Your holes are a horrible mess of triangles presumably caused by using a boole to make them. Fix that, and everything will be a lot better.

CBR

I indeed used a boole to make the holes, thanks so much for the advice and quick response! 

...or I could just give you the file... should work in R16.5 but was made in R20.

Curtain CBR.c4d

CBR