Sign in to follow this  
RobertL

Selection Set and Material management

I'm not sure how the normal C4D user manage that, I find it very difficult, but hopefully someone has some useful tipps. 

When having Objects with 10-20 different shaders on it, I found it really hard to see what material is used for what polygon.

I thought there is some kind of selection tool, where I can click on a polygon of an item and it select the material applied to it, but it must have been a dream.

So currently I have to go through all selection tags, to see what selection is used and then go through all materials do find the selection tag applied. Thats horrible, it makes the multi sub material in Max look even nicer.. 

I found new useful information on the web. Just one nice plugin video for a selection manager, that was never been released. So I guess people have found other methods.

I'm lost here whit imported Objects I get that all the time and then only script that separates objects by material groups is so slow I could hire someone just do the needed 50 clicks per day... insane. 

Well, sorry for this, I should probably tell that MAXON, but they have no public forum where people can put there frustration too... but I don't give up hoping there is a solution somewhere.

2 hours ago, RobertL said:

I'm not sure how the normal C4D user manage that, I find it very difficult, but hopefully someone has some useful tipps. 

When having Objects with 10-20 different shaders on it, I found it really hard to see what material is used for what polygon.

I thought there is some kind of selection tool, where I can click on a polygon of an item and it select the material applied to it, but it must have been a dream.

So currently I have to go through all selection tags, to see what selection is used and then go through all materials do find the selection tag applied. Thats horrible, it makes the multi sub material in Max look even nicer.. 

I found new useful information on the web. Just one nice plugin video for a selection manager, that was never been released. So I guess people have found other methods.

I'm lost here whit imported Objects I get that all the time and then only script that separates objects by material groups is so slow I could hire someone just do the needed 50 clicks per day... insane. 

Well, sorry for this, I should probably tell that MAXON, but they have no public forum where people can put there frustration too... but I don't give up hoping there is a solution somewhere.

this might help: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv_selection_manager

12 hours ago, RobertL said:

Your dreams come true... :)

(César Vonc made this helper few years ago and still very,very useful...Thanks César)

https://code.vonc.fr/?a=46

Install into plugins folder. When using plugin, need to select what operation picker do. There are few options.

First option is for searching hiearchies also with included generators (bit slower)

Second one maybe most useful is material selection (in AM will be opened material used under picker)

Third one will select texture tag applied on selection under picker

...and last one will select object under picker

(native strings are in french, but options are simple to understand. Could be edited/translated by editing internal strings btw.)

• Topic Author
  • Wow thanks.. thats awesome!

I wonder why MAXON hasn't already integrated both solutions. So essential.

I guess the cv_toolbox stops working once my account finish.. quite expensive. But anyway I will try, it is to essential to miss.