Sign in to follow this  
mdouglas

Dangling dynamic object - null to AE?

Hi there, I'm trying to get some animation from a scene with dynamics into AE.

I have a cube cropping down and dangling from a string, which is using dynamics (it's kind of like a gift tag). What I'm trying to do is to have the cube replaced with different images in After Effects, so that I can re-use the rendered string several times, but have full control over the cube in AE (then I can rotate it, swap it out, etc).

I got the method from Eyedesyn's excellent tutorial (youtu.be/gYtPa43ttUM). It worked great, except the string wasn't keeping up with the cube, so under Project Settings / Dynamics / Cache, I hit Bake, which solved that.

I tried adding an External Compositing Tag to the cube, which has its anchor point at the top centre. But it doesn't give me any animation when I pull the C4D file into AE and extract 3D data. The solid in AE just sits there. Any idea how to transfer the animation of the cube dropping, bouncing around, rotating, etc into AE? I've tried baking the different objects with no luck. Is there a way to bake the position/rotation of that cube to keyframes and bring it into AE? Something with PLA? I'm not really familiar with any of that.

Here's what the animation looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnc4y1vc9kwsi8o/Dangling string-v001.mp4?dl=0

Thanks very much!

objects.PNG

String.PNG

I had the same result as you when I imported the .c4d for in AE.

But when I imported the .aec file into AE. That seemed to work, I needed to change the orientation of the sold along it's X xis to match the plane form .c4d, but other than that it worked fine.

As a 2nd approach, I've attached a scene file that has the Nulls animation baked in, and the external compositing tag attached the that. 

Now AE will import the .c4d file's Null keyframes correctly.

I needed to use some simple xpresso to attach the global position and rotation of a Null to the plane and then bake the Null's parameters in the timeline.

So you can use this technique or just import the .aec file in to AE.

Hope this helps.

Dynamic Label_0001.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, southpaw said:

As a 2nd approach, I've attached a scene file that has the Nulls animation baked in, and the external compositing tag attached the that. 

Now AE will import the .c4d file's Null keyframes correctly.

I needed to use some simple xpresso to attach the global position and rotation of a Null to the plane and then bake the Null's parameters in the timeline.

So you can use this technique or just import the .aec file in to AE.

Hope this helps.

Dynamic Label_0001.c4d

Wow - thanks so much @southpaw! I really appreciate that. I'll check out both of those solutions. So how were you able to actually bake the animation? I searched around but wasn't able to find out how to do that. Much appreciated!

Only the Null was baked.

My initial thought was to place the Null as a child of then bake the position and rotation. But it didn't work. I think it was because relative to the containing Card object, the Null isn't actually moving.

I used some expresso to lock the position/rotation of the Null to the card. From there, you need to load the animation layout, select your null object in the Object Manager, and from the "Functions" Menu, select "Bake", you'll get a dialogue box appear, tick "All Paramerters" and click OK, depending on your scene, you should see the keyframes in the timeline.

Place an external compositing tag on the Null and you should be good to go.  Check the scene file provided.