Tinkertoy

3-sided pyramid type shape?

I'm trying to create the shape pictured. I know the drawing isn't great but basically imagine if you took a sphere and squashed it on the Y axis (up and down). Well I want that shape, but instead of perfectly round around the middle I'd like it to be composed of three curved sides. So I guess you could imagine a 3 sided pyramid with curved, instead of straight, sides and then elongated in the vertical direction. This would form the top half of the shape I'm going for, from there I guess you could duplicate it, flip it upside down, and merge it to the bottom of the top half to get the bottom that I'm looking for.

I'm just not even sure what primitive object I should be starting with to get this shape.

20190202_134859.jpg

2 hours ago, Tinkertoy said:

So I guess you could imagine a 3 sided pyramid with curved, instead of straight, sides and then elongated in the vertical direction. This would form the top half of the shape I'm going for, from there I guess you could duplicate it, flip it upside down, and merge it to the bottom of the top half to get the bottom that I'm looking for.

Yep, I think we can do that. You could start with a triangle polygon to make the top half, then extrude that up into a tube and add horizontal edge loops, so you can subsequently achieve the curves by scaling, then weld the top point. Then you could topologize for quads, then add symmetry to get the lower half. Something like this maybe ?

Base mesh on left. Beveled (by angle) and Subdivided result on right.

105142408_trithing3.thumb.JPG.c7bed2bf57681275b750de629005cffa.JPG  1182856852_trithing.thumb.JPG.7388760354241ee367f96732b622aab3.JPG  

215977966_trithing2.thumb.JPG.d4ca1fd4d986982e6ccb10fe26149e7f.JPG

CBR

...just seen we want the sides more curvy. Perhaps more like this, where I have added some additional vertical loops, re-solved the topology into quads then scaled them out to curve the profile from above, more like your reference...

1730173073_trithing4.thumb.JPG.95a220d1033bf78206af7cdcbba1434a.JPG  1982821653_trithing5.thumb.JPG.3964a2baacb87241c51f8950fbec2073.JPG

CBR

• Topic Author
  • that's definitely pretty close! I'm thinking a tad more "round" from the top view but that's the general shape I'm aiming for. now if I can just figure out what half of what you said means, HAHA! I think you lost me with triangle polygon extruded into a tube. you don't mean a triangle primitive right? then after that I don't know what edge loops means or how to weld a top point.

3 hours ago, Tinkertoy said:

triangle polygon extruded into a tube. you don't mean a triangle primitive right?

It is a primitive, just called Polygon, and you tick an option in the tool to make it a triangle.

3 hours ago, Tinkertoy said:

then after that I don't know what edge loops means or how to weld a top point.

OK, you need to go watch some basic modelling tutorials on YouTube, like this one.

CBR