Long time lurker, infrequent poster, first WIP submission. I'm not particularly happy with the shader on the wrench. It is from a Redshift pack from Pixel Lab. I'm still working on creating on my own. I've been learning Redshift through the HelloLuxx tutorials, Vol. 1 and Vol 2, which I highly recommend. I've found for me that it has helped get results faster than watching a mix of YouTube videos. I didn't plan on the wrench being that old looking when I was modeling it. The model was created with a mix of traditional polygonal modeling and volumes. This is just quick render. I haven't spent any time tweaking the lighting or addressing any noise. 

Wrench-Post.jpg

That's a very nice wrench you got yourself there :) I might be tempted to add some Depth of Field to soften up the floor a bit...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks! I worked on the floor a bit, a little DOF and reduced the bump. Still a work in progress. I should clarify my original post. The Pixel Lab textures work great. This look just wasn't what I envisioned for the model. 

Wrench-Post-2.jpg

• Like 1

That helps a bit I think... wondering now what would happen if you dialled down saturation on the floor diffuse map a little - still looks a little intensely yellow to me... But this is only nitpicking - there's a lot working well in this scene :)

CBR

Nice model!  I can see why you might not love the metal material, though.  It looks like wrought iron rather than steel, which is what that type of wrench would be made of.  It could be a simple fix, but I have no idea what your node structure looks like.  Start by removing most of the color from the diffuse channel (or turning off diffuse completely).  Then you could pipe what I assume is an inverted AO into your Reflection roughness.  You could also use it as a matte for a scratch texture that could be connected to roughness and bump/displacement.  You'll probably want some micro scratches on the surfaces of your wrench too, to make it look like it's been machined.  Quite often the handle or at least the recessed part of the handle is bumpier metal.  You'd probably have to go in and paint that matte on your UVs.

Image result for wrench

Keep in mind - especially with Metal shaders - that the shader is only half the story.  What is being reflected and the scene lighting drive the other half of the equation.  So, for example, if you just have the wrench sitting on a plane and nothing else in the scene - there is a huge black void above your wrench and no architecture or objects to reflect.  So you need an environment around the scene for the material to react to.  You can cheat this with a HDRI image instead of having to model a room out, but even with aged and blurry materials this makes s huge difference.  As does placement of light sources.  One of the advantages of Redshift is how quickly you can play and tweak these kinds of things.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the helpful advice! Unfortunately, I've been slammed with graphic design work this week and haven't been able to get back to Cinema 4D. I'll post a revised version soon based on the great feedback. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

I like the shader on wrench, it looks like a tool which has seen its share of weather and less than taken care of.  only thing I would change is a bit of texture wearing on handle