hello café,

is it possible to type in a certain spline length?

for example i want to draw a triangle, one side 40mm, one 30mm?

thanks in advance!

That's a more interesting question that it at first seems :) Cinema doesn't, by default give you the exact length of a spline; rather it gives dimensions for the object as a whole. So, this will accurately report the length of a spline all the time it is pointed straight down one of the axes. But if it is diagonally placed, or the spline is curved, then the reported dimensions will show the width and height of an imaginary box drawn around the spline, therefore not giving you its accurate length, so you need to be aware of that.

However, there are ways round most things in Cinema, and this should be no exception. I can think of 2 ways to get this done off the top of my head...

1. Use the helix object with these settings to get a perfectly straight spline of a definable length (height) and segments (subdivisions, and you want a 0 in that box).

1152356898_betterhelixdefaults.JPG.528e6d1877487fd5c96903eb866ff919.JPG

These splines also have the advantage of their axes being in the right places, at one end of them, and you can use this to help in your situation by creating 2 splines right on top of each other, with their axes aligned. Then you can just rotate one of them up to the right angle, then connect + delete the splines, and in the attributes tick close spline to get the 3rd side.

2. Use the grid and grid snapping, and set spacing to say 10 cm so that you can accurately draw your 2 splines along a main axis, then rotate and connect them together as above so you get 2 sides of defined length.

3. The Measure and Construction Tool will allow you to measure the length of straight splines, but not curved ones.

4. I have seen Xpresso setups that will calculate the length of a spline, but I forget where, and suspect you don't need anything this elaborate as you are working with straight lines.

There may be other ways too. Hope that helps...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • thanks for options, hmm. normally my projects start with drawing walls on the floor in 2d,

then i extrude them. how would you do this best, they are often 120mm thick, returning measurement.

would you draw splines, or would you lay polygons or work with cubes?

i got a arch+ plugin that can do such things, but it´s also crashing the system often-.

For this sort of thing splines and extrudes are generally my last go-to. There is more instantly accessible measurement information available about polygons than there is about splines ! If it's a one-room type setup then I would use cubes, or build all the walls at once using polygon modelling based on one. When you need more than 1 room, then I would use the House Builder in your content browser, which is well worth checking out. 

CBR

When used different setings (for defaults), could be create "quantized" angle etc...

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

4. I have seen Xpresso setups that will calculate the length of a spline, but I forget where,

length.png.1531e1f9cbe6f6448248635c4bd94b6b.png

::):

Oh yes, that's where ! I should have known :) And much simpler than I remember as well !

CBR