Sign in to follow this  
nandthepand

Print Spreads in C4D

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, deck said:

Whenever I do this kind of thing i find it useful to drag out the camera focus distance and snap it to the plane, then you know its exactly zoomed in, assuming the render settings are same as document as you say.

Parelel camera also works and can sometimes be better if you don't want any perspective.

Deck

how exactly would you snap it to the pane? 

Its a two step process of dragging out the middle focus point of camera to snap to poly or vertex on the plane, then grab the edge point and drag in or out to snap to edge of plain which sets the zoom. 

Its actually easier to set the distance by numbers, i.e. plane at zero, camera at minus 500Z so focus has to be 500, then you just snap the edges of camera to the plane.

It works well as you try different distances, obviously need to be parallel to plane, tho you can use the offsets if yer careful. Depending on the required perspective you might want to be really far away to not have too mush perspective difference to your elements, too close and I find the left right perspective can be a bit off putting if Im going for a flatter look. Depends what yer after.

Deck

mines on poly snap in the grab but can also be vertex

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 12.31.50.png

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, deck said:

Its a two step process of dragging out the middle focus point of camera to snap to poly or vertex on the plane, then grab the edge point and drag in or out to snap to edge of plain which sets the zoom. 

Its actually easier to set the distance by numbers, i.e. plane at zero, camera at minus 500Z so focus has to be 500, then you just snap the edges of camera to the plane.

It works well as you try different distances, obviously need to be parallel to plane, tho you can use the offsets if yer careful. Depending on the required perspective you might want to be really far away to not have too mush perspective difference to your elements, too close and I find the left right perspective can be a bit off putting if Im going for a flatter look. Depends what yer after.

Deck

mines on poly snap in the grab but can also be vertex

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 12.31.50.png

That sounds like it could be how I could do it! but im so new to the kinds of tools that your talking about I don't know how to get the enable snap window open?

would it be possible for you to send me the c4d file, then I could just change the pane size to my required size? 

snap commands are on the top menu 7th from left, you can drag them out if you need too.

File below A4 landscape, but it may take up your current snap settings

Deck

Snapped camera.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, deck said:

snap commands are on the top menu 7th from left, you can drag them out if you need too.

File below A4 landscape, but it may take up your current snap settings

Deck

Snapped camera.c4d

thanks for this!!!! so I have changed to a4 pane to my measurements that are 314mm width, 270mm height. But now the camera is still the same measurements as a4. how do I change the measurements of the camera to match the pane.?

thanks for your help. your saving me right now!

• Topic Author
  • if I could just get the camera measurements to measure up the same.

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 15.25.38.png

you have to change that in your render settings, match the shape in your render settings and set DPI to whatever you need. I tend to just work in pixels

Deck

whatever ratio you set in render settings is the shape the camera takes up. They have A4 etc as presets already in there.

Deck

heres a file with 3 cameras at different distances snapped to your dimensions. In Cm rather than MM but that doesn't really matter.

You will get a slightly different perspective from each camera.

What can be a bit tricky is if you need to add bleed to this 3D image your creating, but this is good for matching the page.

Deck

Snapped camera 3up.c4d

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 15.34.08.png

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, deck said:

heres a file with 3 cameras at different distances snapped to your dimensions. In Cm rather than MM but that doesn't really matter.

You will get a slightly different perspective from each camera.

What can be a bit tricky is if you need to add bleed to this 3D image your creating, but this is good for matching the page.

Deck

Snapped camera 3up.c4d

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 15.34.08.png

incredible. thank you so much!!

it might be worth adding a protection tag to the camera to make sure it doesn't move, like nailing your tripod to the floor in the real studio.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, deck said:

it might be worth adding a protection tag to the camera to make sure it doesn't move, like nailing your tripod to the floor in the real studio.

Deck

for sure!