Sign in to follow this  
nandthepand

Print Spreads in C4D

Hey guys,

im a graphic designer, working on a publication. Im planning on importing the publication spreads that I design in indesign, into c4d as jpegs, so that I can layer 3d objects onto of the spread designs. the page measurements need to be accurate when I export from c4d so that the print is consistent. 

my current set up is having a pane, with the spread design mapped to it as a texture. I then have a camera directly above. However I can seem to make the spread fill the render port completely. I have my render settings as the exact measurements/dpi as my indesign file. Is there anyway to perfectly align the pane object and the camera so that the camera viewport is filled by 100% pane.

I hope I have explained this properly il attach some screen shots 

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 21.13.56.png

• Topic Author
  • Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 21.13.42.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 21.15.45.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I have also tried setting the page spread as a background object, this works however I cant then pass objects through it! 

You'd need to set the render output settings to an identical aspect ratio as the imported image. Just checking you've done that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 30 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You'd need to set the render output settings to an identical aspect ratio as the imported image. Just checking you've done that...

CBR

Yes, I believe I’ve done that. The issue now seems to be matching those settings with the cameras. I think 

• Topic Author
  • here's a copy of the render settings, 

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 22.52.23.png

If you go to the Attributes tab > View > Tinted Border make sure the Border Color is black.  With that making the opacity a higher % should let you see a dark boarder in the viewport so you can exactly match up what you want rendered.

4 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

If you go to the Attributes tab > View > Tinted Border make sure the Border Color is black. 

Came here to say that, but Fastbee lived up to his name and got there first :) You'd think a Cerbera would be faster than even the fastest bee wouldn't you, but not today ! ;)

CBR

..also you might try to change camera projection type to Parallel with zoom value 1

parallel.jpg

Whenever I do this kind of thing i find it useful to drag out the camera focus distance and snap it to the plane, then you know its exactly zoomed in, assuming the render settings are same as document as you say.

Parelel camera also works and can sometimes be better if you don't want any perspective.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • yeah changing the viewport border may help, I cant seem to find the attributes menu though! any help?