Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I agree with Everfresh - though don't rule out better CPU engines on older Mac hardware.  Take a look at Corona.  Easy interface - integrated much like native Cinema and will still run on a CPU and give you almost real time feedback with an IPR.  Not to say that Octane and Redshift aren't awesome - they are, but CPU engines have evolved past Physical too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kingcoma said:

Ah yes. Nvidia. I have an iMac Pro, with an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16Gb card.. Would that work?

4 to 5 minutes in redshift? Versus 14h (on my old Mac Pro by the way!) physical? That's a HUGE difference! :O

 

 

 

 

with a mac it's a little bit more tricky. i know because i'm on a mac, too... to be able to use redshift or octane you would have to buy a thunderbolt e-gpu enclosure and a good nvidia card. then you will have to run a script once via terminal to make your mac recognize the external card. does only work up to high sierra, there's no nvidia drivers for mojave (yet). by far not an ideal solution, but still better than having to wait 14 hours for a render that you could have had in 5 minutes. 

 

if that sounds too complicated to you (it really isn't that complicated), i recommend to try corona, which is cpu only, but still very fast. not as fast as redshift or octane, but still like 5 to 10x faster than physical. also a bit more easy and intuitive to use than redshift for instance. then there's also cycles, which is gpu and cpu, and also vendor agnostic, so it also runs with amd cards.

can't say anything how it performs on amd cards though since i never used it. but just download the demos for cycles and corona and compare which works better with your setup.

 

btw, redshift, cycles and octane have purely node based materials, while corona has a layer system ( @EAlexander: corona does have an optional node editor as well now, doesn't it? )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • I read about those eGPU's yesterday, and also read about that script via terminal. They did say you should make a back up of everything, just in case. A bit scary, as I have a pretty constant flow of commissioned jobs. And I run Mojave, but I reckon there will be Nvidia drivers pretty quickly for that.

     

    And this was a personal project, so time didn't really matter. That's why I rendered it on my old Mac on the side, so I could continue working on my new Mac. For commercial projects I try to keep the render times as low as possible, and if it's too much, I use a render farm instead. This works great, but like you said earlier, it costs me money, and download time.

     

    Which would be the best Nvidia card to have? There are so many!

     

    I'll have a look at corona too! Thanks for all the tips and info guys! =D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    and that's the huge difference... with a render engine like redshift you don't have to worry too much about render times, and if you should use GI or not... you just always use GI, since it basically comes for free. and flicker free ;) also you can use insane amounts of sub-poly displacement without the insane preparation and render times c4ds native material system has. for commercial work i also always render via online render farm, but it's just much cheaper if a frame renders in a couple of minutes opposed to a couple of hours. and you can still charge the client the same. basically all the bigger render farms support redshift by now, but be aware that this is not the case with octane, due to its licensing policy.

     

    regarding the best nvidia card for gpu rendering: i suppose it's the 2080 now, but a 1080ti will serve you well enough.

     

    regarding backups: i hope you do regular backups anyways ;) i know many people who ran the script to use their egpus, and i've never heard of any issues with it, so you're most likely going to be fine.

     

     

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, everfresh said:

    and that's the huge difference... with a render engine like redshift you don't have to worry too much about render times, and if you should use GI or not... you just always use GI, since it basically comes for free. and flicker free ;) also you can use insane amounts of sub-poly displacement without the insane preparation and render times c4ds native material system has. for commercial work i also always render via online render farm, but it's just much cheaper if a frame renders in a couple of minutes opposed to a couple of hours. and you can still charge the client the same. basically all the bigger render farms support redshift by now, but be aware that this is not the case with octane, due to its licensing policy.

     

    regarding the best nvidia card for gpu rendering: i suppose it's the 2080 now, but a 1080ti will serve you well enough.

     

    regarding backups: i hope you do regular backups anyways ;) i know many people who ran the script to use their egpus, and i've never heard of any issues with it, so you're most likely going to be fine.

     

     

     

     

    Awesome! I'll have a look at it. I've heard many good things about redshift (my agent was also bragging about it) so maybe it's time to jump on the wagon ^^

    Guess I just have to wait a bit when there are drivers for Mojave..

     

    As for backups: of course I make backups =D But it's always lame to go back to a previously saved thing, and trying to find everything back.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, EAlexander said:

    I agree with Everfresh - though don't rule out better CPU engines on older Mac hardware.  Take a look at Corona.  Easy interface - integrated much like native Cinema and will still run on a CPU and give you almost real time feedback with an IPR.  Not to say that Octane and Redshift aren't awesome - they are, but CPU engines have evolved past Physical too.

    oh yes, always NICE to hear such kind words straight in the ear of Mac-Mini user ::):

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, everfresh said:

     does only work up to high sierra, there's no nvidia drivers for mojave (yet).

    I fear that there may NEVER be drivers for Mojave.  I read an article suggesting that relations between Apple and Nvidia were so bitter that there were no plans for it.  Apple has to approve any drivers Nvidia creates, so they are at Apple's mercy.  One can only put off upgrading the OS for so long...

    I moved to PC over a year ago mostly because Apple had pretty much abandoned it's pro users.  Remember when they released a "new" Mac Pro with no room to upgrade anything internally - over 5 years ago?!?  Yes, they say they are launching a new Mac Pro this year, but I'm not holding my breath.  I love the OS - switching to Windows was painful- but I just didn't see a future in 3D with Apple.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     

    12 hours ago, everfresh said:

    @EAlexander: corona does have an optional node editor as well now, doesn't it? )

    Yes, you can either use the node editor or build matials the tradional way now (similar to Octane), but the traditional way is very well intigrated into Cinema. Corona uses native procedural noise, Fresnel and other shaders.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, natevplas said:

    I fear that there may NEVER be drivers for Mojave.  I read an article suggesting that relations between Apple and Nvidia were so bitter that there were no plans for it.  Apple has to approve any drivers Nvidia creates, so they are at Apple's mercy.  One can only put off upgrading the OS for so long...

    I moved to PC over a year ago mostly because Apple had pretty much abandoned it's pro users.  Remember when they released a "new" Mac Pro with no room to upgrade anything internally - over 5 years ago?!?  Yes, they say they are launching a new Mac Pro this year, but I'm not holding my breath.  I love the OS - switching to Windows was painful- but I just didn't see a future in 3D with Apple.

    yeah i read that article as well. i'm just having trouble to wrap my head around why apple would be so stupid to release a new mac pro solution this (or maybe next) year without any option for nvidia cards. they already publicly admitted that the last mac pro wasn't the greatest idea of all times and that they are listening to the wishes of the pro users now and are developing the new mac pro according to those. logically at the very least this CAN only mean options for external nvidia cards with native support without any terminal script hacks. they just have to know that they peeved of the last remaining fanboys if they don't deliver at least that option. OR they just know more than we do and every software based on cuda is already porting their sh** to metal. sounds very unrealistic, but who knows... :D

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×