FINALLY! Finished a new personal project!

It took me quite a while to get started, was flooded with commissioned work, had lots of other stuff to do around the house, and had a bit of an artist block (lame!)

Anyway, hope you like it!

Also made a 'making of' so you can have a look how it was made.

M

Coral-final-01-HD.thumb.jpg.043e7dad872d6ad1850c591dc15cf4dd.jpg

making-of-coral01.thumb.jpg.f3a91fdcff8a713397394992d7eecd8e.jpgmaking-of-coral02.thumb.jpg.ca310a92e1d3cff97752dc1409cf007c.jpgmaking-of-coral03.thumb.jpg.d4a4e47eb19dbae3bf98a68d5c800920.jpgmaking-of-coral04.thumb.jpg.1870fc1cde84f6899f56d65134ce3e17.jpgmaking-of-coral05.thumb.jpg.8d51fc6c28ad892b905ffe9f5ff98d75.jpg

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

• Topic Author
  • 23 minutes ago, everfresh said:

yes, very nice work.... which renderer are you using? 14h sounds like physical....

Thanks for the kind words, guys! =)

@everfresh: I'm not the biggest hero when it comes to rendering, so I mostly use a combination of the physical renderer with GI and AO. 

There's also some SSS involved, which takes a lot of time preparing, and the hair and fur also needs quite some time to prep.

I work on a 5K screen, which makes HD renders look ridiculously small. I tend to make things double that size nowadays.

9 hours ago, kingcoma said:

Thanks for the kind words, guys! =)

@everfresh: I'm not the biggest hero when it comes to rendering, so I mostly use a combination of the physical renderer with GI and AO. 

There's also some SSS involved, which takes a lot of time preparing, and the hair and fur also needs quite some time to prep.

I work on a 5K screen, which makes HD renders look ridiculously small. I tend to make things double that size nowadays.

what's holding you back jumping on the gpu render engine wagon? 

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, everfresh said:

what's holding you back jumping on the gpu render engine wagon? 

Well, first, I'm not really that technical, so cpu, gpu, such and such, no idea.

Second, I have a lot of versions of cinema4d, but at the moment, I'm very happy with R18. I've had a lot of problems with R19, crashed lots of times. Superlame. R20, with it's new material node system, completely new to me, so have to find some time to learn..

Third, time! I don't have any time to really get into it and do some tests and experiment =(

And lastely, I'm not sure if it's my computer or my ability to get something good (Probably both =D), but it doesn't render that fast..

Is it THAT good, gpu rendering?

22 minutes ago, kingcoma said:

Well, first, I'm not really that technical, so cpu, gpu, such and such, no idea.

Second, I have a lot of versions of cinema4d, but at the moment, I'm very happy with R18. I've had a lot of problems with R19, crashed lots of times. Superlame. R20, with it's new material node system, completely new to me, so have to find some time to learn..

Third, time! I don't have any time to really get into it and do some tests and experiment =(

And lastely, I'm not sure if it's my computer or my ability to get something good (Probably both =D), but it doesn't render that fast..

Is it THAT good, gpu rendering?

haha... amusing and at the same time very lovely answer...

just to give you an idea: you could have rendered that image with redshift or octane for instance about 20x faster on a single nvidia gtx1080ti. that's no exaggeration, it's really that much faster. plus, you have an ipr where you can immediately see any changes you make to materials or camera position or lighting and so on... which means not only rendering is 10 to 50x faster (depends on the specifics of your project), the look dev process speeds up by roughly the same... so any time and money you invest, you'll get back after the first couple of projects. i really couldn't imagine a life without redshift anymore, it's just so much more fun to see changes immediately, also it saves a lot of money in rendering.

edit: that image would have probably rendered in around 4 to 5 minutes in redshift. you also would have gotten nicer looking sss and it renders c4d hair natively.

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, everfresh said:

haha... amusing and at the same time very lovely answer...

just to give you an idea: you could have rendered that image with redshift or octane for instance about 20x faster on a single nvidia gtx1080ti. that's no exaggeration, it's really that much faster. plus, you have an ipr where you can immediately see any changes you make to materials or camera position or lighting and so on... which means not only rendering is 10 to 50x faster (depends on the specifics of your project), the look dev process speeds up by roughly the same... so any time and money you invest, you'll get back after the first couple of projects. i really couldn't imagine a life without redshift anymore, it's just so much more fun to see changes immediately, also it saves a lot of money in rendering.

edit: that image would have probably rendered in around 4 to 5 minutes in redshift. you also would have gotten nicer looking sss and it renders c4d hair natively.

Ah yes. Nvidia. I have an iMac Pro, with an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 16Gb card.. Would that work?

4 to 5 minutes in redshift? Versus 14h (on my old Mac Pro by the way!) physical? That's a HUGE difference! :O