Sign in to follow this  
BigAl3D

Corona and Multipass Shadows

Anyone here that uses Corona know if the Shadow pass from Multipass is functioning? The result I'm getting just doesn't look right. I posted on the dev's site, but with the time difference, it can take quite a while to get a response. 

The image on the left is the RGB and the image on the right is what I got out of the Shadows multipass. Weird right?

MultiPass_Shadows.jpg

• Topic Author
  • So I was able to find a solution to this dilemma. Corona's help system has this text description for the Shadows pass:

"Shows the shadows (energy subtracted from the image due to shadow ray occlusion). This is the complement to the beauty pass, showing white where there are black shadows. If this pass is linearly added to the beauty pass, it negates the visible shadows. Note that currently the shadows from environment lighting are always shown, resulting in a washed-out pass in typical interior renders."

This doesn't make any sense to me as far as AE goes. My solution was to drop a Shadow Catcher material onto the screen. This produced an inverted shadow map. After inverting it in AE, it almost disappears so I had to add some Curves to get the shadows back. Then just Multiply it back over the new screen content.

Funny thing is, I also set up an AO pass to pick up all those little shadows around the edges of the screen. That pass produced a white image with dark gray shadowy bits. Simple and easy. Not sure why the shadows don't come out that way way. I'll post back if they reply with anything to clear this up.

Have you tried to blend that pass in Photoshop? I think Corona supports linear workflow.

Sign in to follow this