kkamin

Motion Capture body and Face

Is the ability to motion capture movements and apply it to a cartoon model, body movement and facial movement possible outside of large studios.

Is there anyway to create something like "Ready, Jet" Go in this way?

Or what about mocap for the body and manually animating the face?

Hi

Yes C4D Studio can receive Mocap but it has no internal solution to utilize any particular advanced Mocap software or hardware, and has no direct support for facial mocap this is down to the hardware and software that makes mocap.  There are basic rigs within C4D Studio for Mocap use but I dont believe there is a set standard so mocaps created from one peice of software will not be compatible with any rig you use, thats where retargeting comes into play. 

Iv seen many run into this problem where they dont own their own mocap hardware so use mocap files, (bvh) from online, or are given some mocaps to work with, then will realise that they didnt have a compatible T or A pose rig which you need for the initial weighting process.  Mixamo is the easy solution, I use this myself as they do provide the mocap files and the static T pose rigs which they rig for you.  This is compatible with C4D Non Linear Animation Motion clip system in which I made a comprehensive video on a while back and can be found here.

The retargeting feature within C4D works but you have to follow some rules to get it to work such as both rigs must have the same rotation order otherwise your target rig will flip in half making a mess.  In this video I show the retargeting in action .

Again even more so your need a special rig for facial mocap that can be applied in the static pose, this is not a area iv gone into but know the Iphone X and a Cineversity plugin for facial mocap does this job as I was helping someone out the beginning of this year with it, it looked great, but its not a 1,2,3 quick solution to get the best results, its complex.  Other solution is to use Pose morphs, this can work fine for basic cartoon facial animation.  You have clusters, and the interactive tag within C4D also to aid with facial animation.  In r19 it had a new asset head showing this in action.

Dan

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the thoughtful info. I'm going to send you a private message.

If you want animation specifically like they have in Ready Jet Go it's probably going to have to all be hand keyed.  This is because it has a lot of cartoon like elements.  There is lengthening and shortening of limbs, facial poses that are over extented, and poppy quick movements.  If it used mocap it would look way different.

If you wanted to do something more like Kizuna AI that would be a different story.  Something like that is possible with affordable software.

https://youtu.be/tfEMz9CJL50

• Topic Author
  • Cafe Frequenter, thanks for the info. What kind of software did you have in mind? Is there software that can do 'Ready Jet Go' without the exaggerations?

you really have to think about the style you're going for.... cartoon characters in the style like in your example will look really weird and will be perceived just as badly animated when you're using mocap. if you have somewhat realistic characters the viewer expects realistic movements, if the viewer sees cartoons he will expect cartoony movements. so if the style your going for is close to the example you posted, mocap will just be the wrong choice.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Cafe Logo Designer, that makes a lot of sense.

Does anyone think, doing mocap to animate a simple reference figure would be of use to a body animator? They could overlay it into the scene. Or would it not be any better than just reference video or just be counter-productive?

i would prefer simple reference footage. easier to handle and serves the same purpose.

btw, frequenter and cafe logo designer are our titles, not our user names ;)