Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Physical sky Sun - make it smaller?

So I want to use the physical sky but how to make the Sun look like an actual Sun (eventually with rays, but not necessarily) above the horizon? Smaller than it is now (which is a giant).

sun.jpg

There is a parameter in the Sun Channel of the Physical Sky called Size Ratio which you can use to control the size of the visible sun.

God-rays are also possible by turning on the Sunbeams option in the basic tab of PS, but IME it is quite difficult to get other sky parameters correct enough to show them. For example the sun should be largely obscured by the cloud base, but it should have small holes in it through which light beams can emerge.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 53 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

There is a parameter in the Sun Channel of the Physical Sky called Size Ratio which you can use to control the size of the visible sun.

God-rays are also possible by turning on the Sunbeams option in the basic tab of PS, but IME it is quite difficult to get other sky parameters correct enough to show them. For example the sun should be largely obscured by the cloud base, but it should have small holes in it through which light beams can emerge.

CBR

I tried Size Ratio with all kind of numbers, but it seems it doesn't have any effect. I have the Atmosphere, Clouds, Volumetric Clouds activated. Even with them deactivated here how the sun looks with 0% Size Ratio. Still looks big. I don't want Sunbeams because it increases the rendering time.

sun-0.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Have you got Physical sky turned on in the sky tab ? Because that will override the sun's size setting. 

CBR

Yes, it is turned on.

Mircea

Hard to tell exactly what is going on without a file but it seems to me your sky is overexposed, i.e. all white so you can't see your sun in there at any size. Im not an expert with the sky and it does seem to have a few non intuitive areas to it, but the size option does work, if you can see it.

So the first thing to do is turn down the AS seen intensity in the physical sky tab ( not the sun tab ), at some point you will see your sun, then you can use the size parameters on the sun tab to change its size.

Chances are its probably bout right at default. a few grabs below to illustrate.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 09.26.28.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 09.26.50.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 09.27.32.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 09.27.49.png

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, deck said:

Hard to tell exactly what is going on without a file but it seems to me your sky is overexposed, i.e. all white so you can't see your sun in there at any size. Im not an expert with the sky and it does seem to have a few non intuitive areas to it, but the size option does work, if you can see it.

So the first thing to do is turn down the AS seen intensity in the physical sky tab ( not the sun tab ), at some point you will see your sun, then you can use the size parameters on the sun tab to change its size.

Chances are its probably bout right at default. a few grabs below to illustrate.

Deck

Yep, that was it!! :) 
    Thank you so much!!

sun-1.jpg