WOLF

SDS weight tag with set selection?

Sup guys,

Modeling a dial for a watch...all contents of watch (bezel, crown, case, cap, etc..) are in a SDS set at X3.

The only piece which is the dial, has a SDS weight tag set at X0 due to being UVd at that fidelity.

Problem: Since dial mesh is UV'd at original base mesh (X0 SDS)... I want the edges of the calendar cutout to be smoothed (affected by X3 SDS).

How do i *SET SELECTION* so to speak....a SDS weight tag? I want the weight tag to affect all vertices BUT the calendar hole edges.

I'm ALL EARS for other suggestions, as i am noob still :P

Thanks in advance to all troopers ;) Cheers! :smiley-eatdrink004:

renderSDSweight.jpg

SDSweight_notsmoothe.jpg

SDS weighting IS like Set Selection in that you can just select any group of edges and overwrite their weighting, which sounds like what you want to do here.

So to fix that geo you need to select the loop of edges running down each corner of the cut-out, and assign just them a weight of zero.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • So...what i want to achieve is a smooth hole like this pic...however you can see the UVs are distorted...this is because i UV'd the original base mesh (no SDS)....so when SDS is turned on you see all the distortions in the texture..hence why i slapped an SDS weight tag on the entire mesh and set it to 0.

This however sharpened the edges of the hole... which is not what i want - how do i isolate the edges from the mesh, i want the edges to be smooth (SDS X3).

P.S. i tried UV-ing a baked SDS mesh (original base mesh X3 SDS baked out)....i got blue screen of death twice [crash].
    i dunno if thats too much geo for Rizom UV to handle or what.

- WOLF

smooth_distorted.jpg

Unfortunately, you are not showing us anything that demonstrates where your edge weighting is placed, so we can't check the right edges are weighted !!

But one thing to try that might rescue it is in the options of the SDS object - set the mode there to Boundary or Edge  - that might fix your texture distortion.

CBR

• Namaste 1

• Topic Author
  • DUDE you're a god, thank you!!

set it to Edge, and voila! (so much time spent on this, and only a click away)

Respects ;)

:signthankspin::smiley-eatdrink004:

edgeFINAL_WINNER.jpg

• Namaste 1