BIgor

Problem UV-s in Unfold 3D.

Hello :D So I have made this Ottoman model for a competition of sorts and I just can not get the UV-s to work, I am using Unfold 3D, and no matter how I unwrap the model manually or automatically I get these black parts on the Sides of the TOP that do not exist on the UV map. I have no idea why, the topology looks good to me...The faces are all facing in the correct direction, all points are Normalised.... Any idea? 

Ottoman UV.png

Ottoman Wireframe.png

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

We don't even have a category for 3rd party UV apps ! But I've amended your title so that only people who have that software will look ! :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

This is a Cinema 4D forum really - we don't even have a category for 3rd party UV apps !

I've amended your title so that only people that have that will look.

CBR

Ok, THX :D But I think that I would get this problem even if I unfolded in C4D... If I took the time to learn how to do it :P but yes I forgot to say that is in Unfold 3D :D 

7 minutes ago, BIgor said:

But I think that I would get this problem even if I unfolded in C4D

You might be right about that, but without the file we'll never know !! ;) You might have some duff polygons somewhere. Cinema is not above erroneously creating those sometimes...

CBR

• Topic Author

You might be right about that, but without the file we'll never know !! ;) You might have some duff polygons somewhere. Cinema is not above erroneously creating those sometimes...

CBR

What Are those "duff" polygons? 

It's a British slang term for any polygon that has an error in it ! You don't get them very often in Cinema but just occasionally you'll put a polygon somewhere, then make a knife cut somewhere else, and something about a polygon or 2 will break, in a way that doesn't necessarily show up in the viewport, or sometimes even the mesh checker ! If you have got some of those, they won't UV properly. It is almost impossible to explain all the actions that could lead to this, hence why we need the file to check your surfaces are fine, which I would check by attempting to UV it in Cinema...

CBR 

• Topic Author

It's a British slang term for any polygon that has an error in it ! You don't get them very often in Cinema but just occasionally you'll put a polygon somewhere, then make a knife cut somewhere else, and something about a polygon or 2 will break, in a way that doesn't necessarily show up in the viewport, or sometimes even the mesh checker ! If you have got some of those, they won't UV properly. It is almost impossible to explain all the actions that could lead to this, hence why we need the file to check your surfaces are fine, which I would check by attempting to UV it in Cinema...

CBR 

OK, I understand :D  Well will uplod the file if I do not solve it soon... these kind of things are such a draag... :P 

To try to figure out what is wrong I would try to delete the polygons that are giving problems and recreating them.  I've had problems in the past where I have a polygon that is even hard to select.  Then I delete it and it's flipping normals on me with no reason.  The points seem like they don't exist in real space.  I end up having to delete all the points associated with said polygons and making the whole section again.

If you were to upload a file with everything deleted, but the polygons giving problems that probably would be enough to find out what is going wrong.

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

To try to figure out what is wrong I would try to delete the polygons that are giving problems and recreating them.  I've had problems in the past where I have a polygon that is even hard to select.  Then I delete it and it's flipping normals on me with no reason.  The points seem like they don't exist in real space.  I end up having to delete all the points associated with said polygons and making the whole section again.

If you were to upload a file with everything deleted, but the polygons giving problems that probably would be enough to find out what is going wrong.

I kind of solved it a few minutes ago. Seems like that Unfold 3D world best with OBJ files, the previous was an FBX and now it is OBJ, it worked perfectly... :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

That's a really good description of what happens when this occurs :) Have you managed to nail down anything specific that causes it ? I got the impression the other day that the slide tool was a possible culprit, but I have longer-held suspicions about the knife tools !

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, Fastbee said:

OK so as I said when I export the model from C4D as an OBJ it has no problems. As for having to delete some point, what you said, is it not enough to do an Optimise...? 

1 hour ago, BIgor said:

is it not enough to do an Optimise...? 

No. An optimize does not remove any bad polygons, only stray points.

CBR