Sign in to follow this  
SDiraptor

Noob alert! Adobe After FX render query

OK, I'm a noob with C4D, I've gone through a bunch of tutorials, and have got more to go, but don't have any experience.

I'm working on a project, where I've tracked footage in Adobe After FX, added a cube in C4D (Lite) then pulled the C4D file back to AFX.  The camera is panning around the object.  What I don't know is how do I render the footage, so I get a lifelike metal cube?  I've set up the material as best I can, but can't get the same effect in render as in After FX. 

Do I export from C4D lite, and then import to AFX?  Or does AFX have it's own exporter that renders C4D objects correctly?

Here's a rendered view in C4D

image.thumb.png.01a24f9d4f5e38e405f28032319f9273.png

This is the item in After FX.  Basically shows the C4D preview, no detail.

image.thumb.png.653fc5f2edc1510bbb7d68a62139ecef.png

I tried a basic After FX render, and I get the same detail as above, I don't get the proper C4D render. 

Really appreciate any help I can get.

PS: I'd also love to work out how to make the object show a shadow on the wood below.

I'm assuming you can do this with the Demo, not sure. My first thought would be to flip your project around. Bring your footage into C4D and use the Motion Tracker and get a 3D solve. You can add basic shapes to match the geometry and, using things like Camera Mapping or Render Man, your footage will be mapped onto these simple shapes. These shapes will "catch" your shadows and composite them in right in C4D. 

In addition, you can also bring your C4D scene into AE after you've done the 3D solve so that camera will be in AE. You can then add 3D layers to get more possibilities.

Couple of good tutorials on this:

Back to reality. You said you're a noob, so what I'm suggesting is not what you would learn on the first day of C4D 101, but it may be the best option. 

Is your Cineware effect renderer set to Standard Final?

• Topic Author
  • Because I work a lot with Adobe Creative Cloud, I had found this tutorial below and was trying to follow it because After Effects has a C4D lite version that comes with it.  I've gone through it and all working fine, but the tutorial never says how the person rendered their final video.  I've followed their workflow pretty exactly, so I'm guessing there is a reason they worked this way?  Sorry, should have said this before I guess.  I'll always have the Lite version, so like to work out how I can do this - can't export directly from Lite version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effects/how-to/insert-objects-after-effects.html