Hello! I am trying to create a little animation where I sew a fabric to another fabric. I want it to roughly look like this G-Star ad, around the 34 seconds mark.

Link: 

So basically, the thread has to go through the fabric in a wider arc pattern. Then as it goes through the fabric again, the wider arc starts to narrow down and at some point is flush with the fabric. The complicated thread action below the fabric is not something I want tos how.

I have tried approaching this with a mospline: I have made a pretty good version with a formula and a sweep + circle. By animating the end position you get a nice animation, only it is missing the part where the thread makes a wider arc at the beginning and is then pulled tight the fabric. I tried to do this with 2 versions of this mospline, the other one have a wider arc made in the Formula, and then blending the two together in a cloner with a plain affector. As it turns out, this does not work. When animate the falloff the threads snap between the tighter and wider version, not really animating and blending in. Does anybody have a tip on how to approach this effect?

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 16.07.26.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 16.07.33.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 16.09.14.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 16.05.12.png

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Do you have R20? Please set the version you have in your profile...

Sorry, I have updated my bio, I have R19

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, here is my simplified version using Point Level Animation combined with sweep animation;

sewstich_A1.c4d

Ah I did not think of doing it this way. The only downside here is that if you want to change the amount of curves you have to do that manually. I have actually found a way by using two matrix objects and two matrix splines and blending between the two matrix objects with a tracer object. this way everything is procedural :) But thanks a lot for the input!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kwartjuh said:

Ah I did not think of doing it this way. The only downside here is that if you want to change the amount of curves you have to do that manually. I have actually found a way by using two matrix objects and two matrix splines and blending between the two matrix objects with a tracer object. this way everything is procedural :) But thanks a lot for the input!

I'd love to see how you solved this!

• Topic Author
  • I have attached my current solutions. Works pretty well, although there is some minor erratic movement I need to filter out. If you have any idea how to do that let me know :)

demo_sewing.c4d

• Like 1

Interesting approach!  I see what you mean by "minor erratic movement."  It looks like the cause of this is your spline is actually changing length when you morph it into the "short" position.  So, as the spline changes length, your modeled string is getting pulled along to fit.  You said you don't need to see the underside of the fabric, correct?  If so, try focusing on animating just one stitch, then clone that along the line you want.  You could use a Plain effector to morph your stitch from loose to tight using this technique: